OkayAfrica is seeking a driven and motivated Social Media Manager to lead content syndication, traffic partnerships and social media marketing efforts to build audience and engagement on our site and various digital platforms. The ideal candidate is passionate about the OkayAfrica brand, its voice in the left-of-center African culture space and has a vision to market our content through these external digital channels.
You will work in tandem with the company Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor on a daily basis to manage, create and establish existing and new syndication, social and traffic-generating partnerships. OkayAfrica places enormous value on our social media channels (the face of our company) and message boards and is counting on this individual to maintain synergy between the boards and editorial, to ignite conversations and debates amongst our highly engaged and vocal audience, plus increase our social footprint across Twitter, Facebook (+Live), Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, and more.
- Run and optimize all OkayAfrica social media channels
- Work with leadership team to develop, maintain, and hone style guide for all social media platforms
- Increase visibility of OkayAfrica feeds, content, and messaging through organized and intentional social media planning
- Tracks progress of each project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, approved timelines.
- Reports status and variances.
- Creates action plans to meet objectives, budget and schedule providing weekly wrap-ups and recaps as needed.
- Train and develop staff of interns to manage and assist as needed while establishing sustainable process and systems.
- Develop strategies that drive traffic back to OkayAfrica website
- Keeping up with breaking news from around the continent of Africa
- Attend and live-capture events for dispersion on social media networks
- Oversee the development of emerging social platforms (i.e. Snapchat)
- Ideation and Management of influencer campaigns
- Develop and grow influencer engagement with our social media platforms. Working with video team to create snackable social videos.
Skills and Experience:
- A passionate interest in African affairs, culture and music
- At least 4+ years of professional experience with social media management, writing and editing
- Deep knowledge of and enthusiasm for social media trends and internet culture within the African diasporic space
- Fluency in social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, and more is a must.
- Understand native social insight tools and Iconosquare.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Google Docs, and other content management systems is essential.
- A proven track record of innovation on social media and a willingness to experiment and learn new platforms.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and other common tools of the trade.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org before Thursday, June 22 at 5pm EST with a resume, short cover letter and references. Please put “Social Media Manager” in the subject line.
- This position is based in New York City; applicants must be living in the New York metropolitan area, and be legally able to work in the US. Okayafrica is an EEO.
For other career opportunities with OkayAfrica, click here.