15,000 people will likely remember the finals of the World Cup 2010 for the rest of their lives – and not just because the games and the media hoopla around them were incredible to behold – but because they were all part of an evening that (musical) legends are made of. The okayafrica World Cup Celebration brought together an incredible line-up of acts; headlined by The Roots and Talib Kweli, acts from all over the continent positively ROCKED the stage – Bajah + The Dry Eye Crew, Blitz the Ambassador, Zakee, Dragons of Zynth, Sahr (from FELA!) with Super Human Happiness, and so many more. DJs J. Period, OP!, and Dhundee smashed the pre-party + interludes as well. And if that wasn’t enough, all our tired, sweaty behinds got treated to a last minute Nice & Smooth guest appearance, rockin’ with none other than Black Thought himself. We wanted the night to never end. There’s only one word for this kind of night: epic. It’ll be right up there with Dave Chappelle’s Block Party and Wattstax in no time. You can experience the vibe yourself through these amazing photos – follow me after the jump for photo galleries from Mel D. Cole, Terrence Jennings, and King Texas.

Mel D. Cole

Terrence Jennings

King Texas

Comments

12 Replies to "Photos: OKAYAFRICA launch event w/ The Roots, Talib Kweli, Bajah + The Dry Eye Crew and more!"
July 13, 2010 at 7:29 pm

3rd image of Mel D. Cole’s flicks – Black Thought with Nice & Smooth – that was such a treat!!!

July 14, 2010 at 2:33 pm

These are great pics. I’m bummed that I’m down in Atlanta. I would love to come to these shows. It’s a bummer that you guys are working the late night scene. It’s great for marketing yourselves, but the live experience and touring is such a rush and you don’t get to it nearly enough. Looking forward to you hitting the road again. But at least i get to check you out every night, so at least there’s the sandwich experience. A few seconds here and there going in and out of commercials. sniff. yeah, i guess that will be enough. for now. sniff.

OkayPete says:
July 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Yo get real with all this black and white/flash stuff. It’s getting tired. Use some color. And edit your stuff down, pick the choice ones, and leave the rest out. No need to have 100 photos, 85 of which are lame, rock the 15 solid ones.

J-Elijah says:
July 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’m glad I made it to OkayAfrica!
This was my fourth time seeing The Roots live (3 times in DC while at Howard University, 1 time in Brooklyn).
Everyone – Talib Kweli, The Ambassador, Sahr from Fela, The Roots were Awesome!
I took about 100 photos myself.
Common at Fort Greene Festival, and now The Roots at Prospect Park – Brooklyn is hot this summer!

July 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm

sick pics, too bad we missed out. When can we expect and ATL show??

21Ronin says:
July 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm

It was a great show! Thanks for the introduction to some great African artists that I would not otherwise be exposed to. Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay for the whole show……the little one had to sleep. That’s right, it was a family event!

Anonymous says:
July 16, 2010 at 4:21 am

interesting that the event was meant to highlight Africa, yet there were very few artists who reside in Africa performing, where were people like Oumou Sangare, Thandiswa Mazwai, Seun Kuti, Tumi and the volume, 340ml Vieux Farka Toure etc well anyway Americans…..even when something is intended to be about other cultures and lifestyles YALL americans continue to practice very crude forms of cultural imperialism

July 17, 2010 at 4:01 am

Just like to insert that everyone, The Roots included, would have LOVED to have some, or MANY artists who “reside” in Africa included in the Brooklyn event – but where were the funds to fly them over? To provide hotels? Etc., etc. This huge event was pulled off on a shoe-string budget. I don’t see how highlighting African artists who happen to live in the U.S. at this moment is cultural imperialism.

BrokenBatteries says:
July 18, 2010 at 1:16 am

I don’t know what anonymous is talking bout but has a first generation African American who parents are form Ghana . That concert changed my life ! Thank you so much to The Legendary Roots for using their influence to bring attention to Africa. Everyday I am learning more about my self and my culture and this show was more than imperative to this process , they are so many other words I wanna lay down but I’m just gonna leave off on this note and once again sincerly say . THANK YOU !!!

dupifresh says:
July 18, 2010 at 7:46 pm

hot damn! i won backstage passes and still am in awe of what went down last sunday… i was so lost in watching the performances i spoke to let’s see…about one artist that night! lol…. nevertheless, i’m enormously grateful for the chance to have been apart of that show’s history. WHAT!!!! That was the best b-day gift I’ve had–ever–Oh Yes!!! and I wouldn’t mind another show backstage and some flicks to show for it next time :-)!!! Thanks OKAY AFRICA!!!!

• Pingback: Okayafrica.com: todo o estilo e atitude de uma boa casa Black. | Back2Black Festival

• August 16, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Great pictures! Glad okayplayer is in Africa

We will never send yoiu spam or publish or share your email information.