OkayAfrica is a leading media company, connecting a global audience to the African continent and its diaspora through compelling content and high-profile cultural events. The company launched in 2011 as the only platform truly capturing the breadth of the continent's unprecedented youth culture boom.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Accountant to join our dynamic team. This role will work closely with our Chief Executive Officer, Chief Marketing Officer and Account Executives.
- Manage the daily accounting activities of the firm in Quickbooks, including but not limited to preparation of Clients' billing and invoicing, entering all expenses into the GL system, and bank reconciliations on a daily basis
- Cross function-work with sales & account management teams on weekly budget trackers
- Obtain/maintain/communicate accurate accruals and documentation and monitor monthly activity
- Prepare and co-ordinate the reconciliation of accounts, preparation of financial statements maintain all documentation digitally and in binders as needed
- Assist with the preparation and review of the annual budget, as well as the mid-year reforecast
- Prepare the necessary financial reporting schedules
- Manage special projects and provide administrative support, as assigned
- monthly closings and preparation of monthly financial statements
- draw up monthly financial reports
- assist with year end closings
- administer accounts receivable and accounts payable
- prepare tax computations and returns
- assist in preparing budgets and forecasts
- assist with payroll administration
- monitor and resolve bank issues including fee anomalies and check differences
- Ability to work effectively with cross functional groups. Develop critical relationships within the company.
- Clear writing and communication skills with peers and management
- Clear communication with outside vendors and client finance depts
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, work within a team environment and company culture, and willingness to work overtime as needed
- Self-motivated, self-starter, committed, and ability to manage many projects to achieve objectives
- Ability to evaluate processes and recommend and implement more efficient practices and procedures
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Bachelors in Accounting. Strong understanding of US GAAP and partnership accounting.
- 4+ yrs of experience in accounting preferred
- Advanced Quickbook Enterprise knowledge: Ability to issue invoices, execute payroll, equity and capital accounts
year end closing
- In-depth understanding of accounting and finance issues to critically review financial results, account analysis, and
coordinate financial activities within Group and company-wide, as needed.
- Ability to work with people in a professional manner and gather information necessary to complete assigned tasks.
- High PC aptitude and literacy, especially with Excel and Word.
- Extensive knowledge of Quickbooks Enterprise.
- Must be able to work from our offices in Brooklyn
This position is based in New York City, applicants must legally be able to work in the U.S. OkayAfrica is an EEO.
To apply please submit a CV and cover letter to Jobs@okayafrica.com with Senior Staff Accountant in the subject line.