NYC-based photographer Mark Aghatise shares an exclusive fashion editorial inspired by the late Malick Sidibé with OkayAfrica.
This editorial by NYC-based photographer Mark Aghatise is a fusion of art, protest and identity.
“I think we are in a very interesting point right now, in the world of photography,” Aghatise says. “In the age of information there are many voices and even more stories being uncovered and told each day. Myself, and many other photographers I know are constantly wondering how to make our voice unique and provide a new perspective even if the subject isn't new.”
Inspired by the late Malick Sidibé and the 60s, the model featured in the editorial wears brands like Gosha, Calvin Klein and Givenchy. The imagery of the shoot shows the complexity of his subject—who can be seen as a photographer, activist and also athlete.
His Sidibé inspiration also pushes the impact of the imagery by using all black-and-white photos that bringing detail to light.
“I've always been a believer that to move forward, you must look back and after going through Sidibé's archive, I could see and appreciate his definitive style and how his progression never betrayed his style,” he says.
Check out the exclusive editorial below. For more information on Mark Aghatise, check out his Instagram here.
4, 5. Courtesy of Mark Aghatise.
2, 3. Courtesy of Mark Aghatise.
1, 6. Courtesy of Mark Aghatise.
2. Courtesy of Mark Aghatise.
5. Courtesy of Mark Aghatise.
1. Camera: Minolta, Shirt: Vintage
2. Tank: Converse, Pants: Gosha Rubchinskiy, Bag: Vintage
3. Glasses: Ray Ban, Bag: Vintage, Shirt: Vintage
4. Shirt: Vintage Soccer Jersey
5. Denim Jacket: Calvin Klein, Pants: Levi's, Belts: Vintage CK
6. Overalls: Dickies, Jacket: Vintage, Shoes: Givenchy, Camera: Pentax