AFRICA IN YOUR EARBUDS #5: JUST A BAND
We've been upping eclectic Nairobi trio Just A Band since day one — from the time their blaxploitation spoof became "Kenya's first viral hit" to their recent BLNRBcollaborations and Okaysummer Party throw-downs.
For Africa In Your Earbuds #5, JAB's DJ Nairobi Dhobi (aka Dan) and DJ Bonyeza Kidude (aka Jim) hit us up with a 41-minute mix that plays in the vein of their group's cross-pollinating style — an afrofuturist blend of house, hip-hop, and funk that's almost impossible to pin down with genre specifics.
In crafting AIYE #5, the JAB boys mentioned wanting to integrate vinyl they listened to as kids in the 80s, showcase geographical diversity and, quite simply, make people dance. They succeed at all three, seamlessly weaving tracks by Ali Farka Touré, Black Coffee, Baaba Maal, Hugh Masekela, Sam Fan Thomas, Little Dragon, SBTRKT and plenty more.
Stream and download Africa In Your Earbuds #5: Just A Band below!
And check out our OKATV episode following Just A Band's first New York visit.
1. Dela - "Ulivyo" (Kenya)
2. Vetkoek vs Mahoota - "Shukuma"
3. Psychedelic Nwomkro All-Stars (Kweku Ananse) - "Nwomkro Jam 2.0"
4. A Just A Band Mashup containing elements from of Little Dragon "Never Never (SBTRKT Remix)" and Yoko Kanno's "Fantasie Sign" from the Cowboy Bebop OST.
5. DJ Cleo - "Katu Katu"
6. Just A Band - "Heat (Demo)"
7. Jali Bakary Konteh - "Combination (Hat and Hoodie Remix)"
8. Another Just A Band Mashup containing elements from Black Coffee + Hugh Masekela - "We Are One (Louie Vega Remix)," and a katitu song.
9. A snip-up of Hugh Masekela performing Fela Kuti's "Lady"
10. Another snip-up of "Nanan" by Ali Farka Toure, Baaba Maal, Youssou N'Dour, Papa Wemba, Franco, Manu Dibango
11. A mild remix of Sam Fan Thomas' "Neng Makassi"
12. A mashup of "Freedom Is Coming Tomorrow" from the Sarafina! film soundtrack and dialogue from Tolu Ogunmefun's 7th episode of "Don't Jealous Me" ("Pronounce My Name - Shett Men!")
13. Sam Fan Thomas' "Noa"