Security Forces in Ghana Target New LGBT Rights Group Centre
LGBT+ Rights Ghana's new centre has reportedly been raided by Ghana's National Security just a month after it officially opened. The centre has closed out of concerns for safety as it continues to be the subject of intimidation.
According to Al Jazeera, LGBT+ Rights Ghana group commented saying, "This morning, our office was raided by National Security," and going on to add that, "At this moment, we no longer have access to our safe space and our safety is being threatened. A few days ago, traditional leaders threatened to burn down our office but the police did not help."
The centre was officially opened January 31st of this year in Accra, Ghana. However, foreign diplomats including a delegation from the European Union, received backlash for attending the opening of the centre.
Ghana, like many other countries across the world, remains discriminatory towards members of the LGBT community. While countries like Angola and Botswana have made major strides in decriminalising same-sex relationships, homosexuality is still illegal in Ghana with queer people being frequently targeted and left without opportunity for recourse.
As if the continued homophobia across various African countries weren't enough, far-right organisations from the West, such as the World Congress of Families, are actively propagating homophobic narratives in West Africa. Additionally, the Ghanaian media has been accused of being complicit in the stirring up of anti-LGBT sentiments.
Many have come out on social media to condemn the targeting of the rights group in addition to expressing support for the LGBT community overall.
For state security office to invade the safe space these people created for themselves like this is so wrong and so… https://t.co/8HIK3g07pa— Kuukuwa Manful (@Kuukuwa Manful)1614172387.0
Yessss @animaadjepong you said it all. We're fed up and tired of the homophobia and oppression of minorities in Gha… https://t.co/zbrtwi1j4k— Nana Darkoa (@Nana Darkoa)1614195343.0
Have been reading up today on what’s been happening in Ghana - the media over there has really been stirring up ant… https://t.co/vaIiC2XdPM— Jon Holmes (@Jon Holmes)1614123457.0
Much love 💕 and solidarity ✊🏿 for our #LGBT brothers and sisters in #Ghana! https://t.co/Yf92CrNLgK— Upendo ni Upendo 👭🏿=👬🏿=👫🏿 (@Upendo ni Upendo 👭🏿=👬🏿=👫🏿)1614227113.0
It’s sad that the gov’t of Ghana chose violence towards its people. We are disappointed to see both state & non sta… https://t.co/AHtrE7tloE— Queer Utopia (@Queer Utopia)1614232114.0
- Photos: Nigerians Go All Out To Stand Up For LGBT Rights ... ›
- This Organization Fighting for LGBT Rights is Being Backed by the ... ›
- The World Congress of Families Held a Regional Conference in ... ›
- Game Changer? Zambia's First Lady Rejects State Homophobia ... ›
- 'Why I Think The Gay Community Should Come Out' by Seun Kuti ... ›
- Several Cultural Figures Sign Petition Supporting Ghana's LGBT Community - OkayAfrica ›
- #LGBTRightsGhana: Ghanaians Rally Support For the LGBT+ Community - OkayAfrica ›
- Cameroon's LGBT Community is Facing Increasing Persecution - OkayAfrica ›
- Here's What We Know About #ReleaseThe21 Ghana's Latest LGBTQI+ Rights Movement ›