Get to Know KayCyy, The Kenyan Artist Featured On Kanye West's 'Donda'
The YZY SND artist handles the chorus on "Keep My Spirit Alive."
Kanye West's long-awaited album Donda finally hit streaming services on Sunday.
The American rapper's latest album, which came after a string of stadium listening parties, officially made it out just days after he'd set himself on fire and controversially broughtDaBaby and Marylin Manson onstage at his latest Chicago showing.
Adding fuel to the controversy, Kanye himself took to Instagram to claim that Universal put his album out without his approval.
The 27-song long Donda clocks in at nearly two hours long and features a long host of artists you might expect to be on a Kanye record: Jay-Z, The Weeknd, Travis Scott, Playboy Carti and many more.
One name that stuck out for us was Kenyan-born artistKayCyy, who lends his vocals to track 16 "Keep My Spirit Alive," a mid-tempo gospel-inspired track in which he sings the chorus. He's flanked on the song by verses from Westside Gunn, Conway the Machine, and Kanye.
KayCyy, or KayCyy Pluto as he's also known, was born in Kenya and moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota at the age of 9 with his family. He is reportedly signed to Kanye West's new record label YZY SND.
KayCyy previously dropped two full-length albums and has writing credits on Lil Wayne's Funeral and Kanye's "Wash Us In the Blood" single.
Following the release of Donda, KayCyy took to social media to comment, "Two years of working on an album ... learned so much around the genius! And I'm so honored to have been a part of it! GOD IS GREAT." We'll keep an ear out for more from him.
From Your Site Articles
- 11 Samples From 'Éthiopiques': A Brief History of Ethio-Jazz Cultural ... ›
- Video: D'Banj 'Oliver Twist' w/ Kanye West & GOOD Music - OkayAfrica ›
- Wizkid, Rihanna, Future, Kanye West Featured In Drake's 'VIEWS ... ›
- UPDATE: It's Official, D'banj signs w/ Kanye West + GOOD Music + ... ›
- Skinniez Remixes Songs by PRO, Kanye West, Anderson .Paak and ... ›
- Kanye West Says He's Put His Album On Hold to Finish Recording ... ›
- Op-Ed: Kanye West In Africa Is Music Marketing At Its Worst ... ›
- People Aren't Happy About Kanye West Visiting Uganda ... ›
- Kanye West Sampled This 1970s Kenyan Record On 'Ye' - OkayAfrica ›
- Kanye West's Album Title Has Unintentionally Boosted Burna Boy's ... ›
- Travis Scott's 'Utopia' Show at Pyramids of Giza Canceled Over Cultural Concerns - Okayplayer ›