Popular
Still from YouTube

Little Simz, Dave and More to Star In 'Top Boy' Season 3 on Netflix

The highly-anticipated new season was produced by Drake and LeBron James.

Back in 2017, Drake announced that he'd be working with Netflix to revive the London-based series 'Top Boy' which had ceased production in 2013 after two seasons.

The artist has kept true to his promise, sharing a teaser of season 3 at a recent show in London. Today, Netflix has shared even more details about the show with a first-look at the upcoming season and cast announcement.

The new season features British-Nigerian rappers Little Simz, one of OkayAfrica's 100 Women, as well as Dave, who dropped his critically-acclaimed debut album Psychodrama earlier this month.


They'll also be joined by Kadeem Ramsay from Sex Education Kola Bokinni who perviously appeared in Black Mirror, Hope Ikpoku and others. The new season will see series leads Ashley Walters and Kane Robinson reprising their roles.

The season will be written by the show's original creator Roman Bennett, with Drake, his business partner Adel "Future" Nur, LeBron James—through his SpringHill Entertainment imprint—Maverick Carter and Jamal Henderson stepping on as new producers.

Here's a synopsis of the upcoming season via Shadow & Act:

The new season of the show will pick up as Dushane (Ashley Walters) returns from exile to his home in London to reclaim his throne in the highly lucrative drug market. He teams up with Sully (Kane Robinson), his spiritual brother, partner, and sometime rival who is also returning to the same streets after his own form of exile – prison – comes to an end. Awaiting them both is Jamie, the young, hungry and ruthless gang leader whose ambitions leave no place for Dushane and Sully.

The new 10-episode season will premiere as a Netflix original later this year. Check out the trailer below.

Top Boy | Cast Announcement | Netflix youtu.be

News Brief
Photo by -/AFP via Getty Images

Sudan Declares State of Emergency, As Military Dissolves Transitional Government

As the North African country edged closer to democracy, Sudan's military has seized power.

Sudan's military has seized power over the North African country, arresting multiple civilian leaders, including the current Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. The power-sharing, unstable coalition, called the Sovereign Council, was created as a transitional government after the fall of dictator Omar al-Bashir in 2019, in an attempt to move towards a democratic Sudan.

The Sudanese public has been split in recent weeks as groups protested for a military-run state, while others pushed for a civilian lead, democratic nation. Last week, the Prime Minister vocalized his plans towards a full transition to civilian rule, and his plans to have that body in place by November 17, echoing the voices of thousands of Sudanese demonstrators who showed up in hoards to demand that the promise of Sudan's pro-democracy movement be honored. But on Monday the PM and multiple government ministers and officials were placed under arrest, resulting in Sudan's top general's declaring State of Emergency.

General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said in a televised statement, "To rectify the revolution's course, we have decided to declare a state of emergency nationwide… dissolve the transitional sovereign council, and dissolve the cabinet." His statement came as soldiers fired live rounds at anti-military protestors, outside of the army headquarters in the capital.

Internet services were cut across the country around dawn and the main roads and bridges into Khartoum shut, before soldiers stormed the headquarters of Sudan's state broadcaster in the capital's twin city of Omdurman, the ministry said. After months of rising tensions in the country, army and paramilitary troops have been deployed across the capital city, Khartoum, with the airports and internet access being shut down. As a result of the coup, hundreds of protestors have taken to the streets, demanding the return of a civilian ruled and the transitional government, the BBC reports.

Demonstrators have spread to a number of Sudanese cities including Atbara, Wad Madani, and Port Sudan, and more are expected to attend the call for action. "We will not leave the streets until the civilian government is back and the transition is back," protest attendee Sawsan Bashir told AFP. While demonstrator Haitham Mohamed says, "We are ready to give our lives for the democratic transition in Sudan."


get okayafrica in your inbox

popular.