South Africa's Viral 'Jerusalema' Reportedly Adapted Into Short Film
Master KG and Nomcebo Zikode's global hit song 'Jerusalema' has reportedly been adapted into a film which was shot this past Heritage Day.
Global hit song "Jerusalema" by Master KG and Nomcebo Zikode has reportedly been made into a short film. According to Variety, the film was scripted and shot over two days in Cape Town this past week. The hit song's popularity is propelled by the #JerusalemaChallenge which blew up and took the world by storm.
South African Actors, Crew Unite to Produce ‘Jerusalema’ Dance Film https://t.co/ailDHjMe3Q— Variety (@Variety) 1600636022.0
South African film and television production houses: Cape Town Film Studios, Media Film Service, Panavision, Film Afrika Fresh and Unit Logistics had reportedly planned to shoot the film on Heritage Day. The film is also reportedly pro bono and proceeds will be donated to charity. Cape Town is a well known location for shooting both local and international music videos as well feature films and documentaries. There has, however, been no official commentary as yet from Master KG and Zikode on the making of or their participation in the short film itself.
"Jerusalema" was released in December 2019, a time for tremendous festivities but only gained prominence at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Under lockdown, people joined the #JerusalemaChallenge as it sparked a global dance movement from South Africa to Ghana, Nigeria, Zambia, Italy, England, Cape Verde and America. Videos of Swedish doctors in scrubs, friends on the beach, family gatherings, children, South African personnel at the traffic department and even elephants dancing to the song have since flooded social media.
"Jerusalema" has become a marker of unification and celebration. Following the announcement of the final level of lockdown, South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, urged South Africans to celebrate Heritage Day with the now iconic "Jerusalema" dance. The track is currently the most Shazamed song in the world and stands at over 150 million views on YouTube.
- South African Artist Master KG's 2019 Hit Single 'Jerusalema' is ... ›
- 'Jerusalema' Hit-Maker Nomcebo Zikode Releases Her Solo Album ... ›
- 5 Essential Bolobedu House Tracks to Check Out - OkayAfrica ›
- Listen to Master KG and Nomcebo's 'Jerusalema' Remix Featuring ... ›
- 'Jerusalema' Phenomenon Shows Africa's Trendsetting Abilities ... ›
- Master KG's Hit 'Jerusalema' Becomes Most Shazamed Song in the ... ›
- Master KG Scores MTV EMA Nomination for Best African Act - OkayAfrica ›
- Master KG Talks 'Jerusalema' and Taking Bolobedu House to the World - OkayAfrica ›
- Master KG Wins 'Best African Act' at MTV Europe Music Awards - OkayAfrica ›
- Lesotho Secures Oscar Nomination with 'This is Not a Burial, It's A Resurrection' - OkayAfrica ›
- Lesotho Secures Debuts in Oscar Race with 'This is Not a Burial, It's A Resurrection' - OkayAfrica ›
- Nomcebo Zikode On Life After 'Jerusalema' - OkayAfrica ›