News Brief

A Group of Missing Dapchi Schoolgirls Have Been Returned Home

According to the Nigerian government, 101 of the 110 who were abducted have been freed, though reports say that 5 may have died.

UPDATE 3/21:

A government aide has confirmed that 101 of the 110 girls originally taken have been brought home to Dapchi, reports BBC Africa.

In a conversation with a family member, one of the freed schoolgirls said that 5 of her classmates died on the day of the abduction after they were trampled in an overcrowded vehicle.

Continue for previous updates:

Over half of the Dapchi schoolgirls abducted by Book Haram last month have been freed, reports the Nigerian government.

The Country's Minister of Information and Culture Alhaji Lai Mohammed confirmed the return of 76 out of the 110 girls following "back channel efforts' by the government. He said the exchange was "unconditional."

"The government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls," he added.


Families and witnesses on the ground in Dapchi say that the girls returned early Wednesday morning, and told them that Boko Haram dropped them about 12.5 miles (20 km) from the town, and instructed them to walk the rest of the way home, reports CNN.

Mohammed promised updates on the number of girls freed after an official count. However, his statement did not confirm other reports that up to 5 of the girls had died, and that one Christian girl may still be in captivity, reports BBC Africa.

While many are celebrating the return of the girls, some are doing so more cautiously than others.

Many Nigerians have continued to raise questions about the nature of the government's efforts, and its ability to prevent situations like these from happening again. Last week, several on social media criticized President Buhari for arriving on a red carpet when visiting the families of the schoolgirls.

Music
(Youtube)

The 5 Songs You Need to Hear This Week

Featuring Fireboy DML, Juls, Adekunle Gold and more.

Every week, we highlight the top releases through our best music of the week column.

Here's our round up of the best tracks and music videos that came across our desks, which you can also check out in our Songs You Need to Hear This Week playlists on Spotify and Apple Music.

Follow our SONGS YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS WEEK playlist on Spotify here and Apple Music here.

Keep reading... Show less
Film
Photo by Karwai Tang/WireImage via Getty.

Michaela Coel Joins the 'Black Panther' Sequel Cast

The upcoming film, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, is shaping up.

The sequel to the Oscar-winning Black Panther is only due to debut in July of 2022, but the production is well on its way.

The latest news out of the camp is that Michaela Coel, of I May Destroy You and Chewing Gum fame, has officially joined the cast of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Her character details are still under wraps but according to Variety, Coel has already joined director Ryan Coogler at Atlanta's Pinewood Studios, where production started in late June.

Coel joins original cast members Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong'o, Florence Kasumba, and Angela Bassett all reprising their roles. Following the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, Marvel reportedly chose not to recast the role of T'Challa.

Read: How Michaela Coel's 'I May Destroy You' Makes Space For Black Creators

"It's clearly very emotional without Chad," Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige mentions. "But everyone is also very excited to bring the world of Wakanda back to the public and back to the fans. We're going to do it in a way that would make Chad proud."

Michaela Coel's highly-lauded 2020 series I May Destroy You — which she wrote, directed, produced and stared in — received four Emmy nominations.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is scheduled for wide release on July 8, 2022.

Meet Duro Arts, the Man Behind Your Favorite Afrobeats Album Covers

We talk to the Lagos-based digital artist about his work with Olamide, Phyno, Falz and more.

Duro Arts has found himself illustrating the cover artwork for a new wave of Nigerian musicians. Born in Lagos, Nigeria, Oluwadurotimi Bolaji Idowu started digital art in 2010, at a time where afrobeats music was still grasping its feet. Now, 11 years later, he has made covers for heavyweight hitmakers like Peruzzi, Phyno, Olamide, Zlatan, Oxlade, and Davido.

We caught up with Duro Arts on a Sunday afternoon over Zoom. He took the call from Accra, Ghana, where he's currently working. We talked about his journey as a digital artist, his portfolio, creative process, and the changes he'd like to see in the creative industry.

Keep reading... Show less

get okayafrica in your inbox

popular.

Series Producer Bonga Percy Vilakazi Is Big On Telling Progressive Stories

The award-winning South African writer and producer cut his teeth in the TV industry washing and drying make-up sponges. Today, he's responsible for entertaining millions of soapie lovers on the African continent.