popular
Still from YouTube.

'Less of a Controversy and More of a Misunderstanding,' Oscar Committee Responds to 'Lionheart' Disqualification

"If you're submitting for something as important as an Academy Award, I would think you should look at the rules," says committee co-chair Larry Karaszewski of the backlash surrounding the Genevieve Nnaji film's ineligibility.

The Oscar's International Film Executive Committee has responded to the backlash stemming from the disqualification of Genevieve Nnaji's Lionheart—which was Nigeria's first-ever Oscar submission.

Speaking with Deadline, the committee's co-chair Larry Karaszewski, called the situation "less of a controversy, and more of a misunderstanding."

He clarified the Academy's rules, stating that despite the change in name from "Best Foreign-Language Film" to "Best International Feature Film," earlier this year, the rules for the category remain the same: film's must be predominantly in a language other than English. Lionheart, which runs for 95 minutes, contains just 11 minutes of Igbo dialogue.


Despite the confusion, which Karaszewski referred to as a "misconception," the exec claims that the rules had been communicated to overseas participants. "If you're submitting for something as important as an Academy Award, I would think you should look at the rules," he said. "But there are no bad intentions on either side. We would love a film from this country and for it to be part of the process."

Nigeria's selection committee responded immediately after the decision was made on Monday, stating that it would submit non-English dialogue films going forward. It urged "filmmakers to shoot with intention of non-English recording dialogue as a key qualifying parameter to represent the country in the most prestigious award."

"We are not looking to make things ineligible," adds Karaszewski. "I don't think this film was disqualified as much as it was ineligible…it's not a dismissal. It's not like we didn't like the movie, but it would be unfair to other films to not (adhere to) the rules."

According to Deadline, the last film to be disqualified for the same reason, was the Israeli film The Band's Visit in 2007.

Karaszewski's comments, however, do little to address the main concerns of those who spoke out against the Academy's decision. Many pointed out that the film is still distinctively Nigerian despite being in English, and that the dialogue reflects the fact that English is the official language in the country where over 500 indigenous languages are spoken. "English is the official language of Nigeria. Are you barring the country from ever competing for an Oscar in its official language," wrote filmmaker Ava DuVernay in a viral tweet.

A common sentiment shared by those online following the news, was that Nigeria was being punished for being colonized. "It's no different to how French connects communities in former French colonies," wrote director Nnaji on Twitter. "We did not choose who colonized us. As ever, this film and many like it, is proudly Nigerian."

popular

The 25 Essential Wizkid Songs

All of Wizkid's biggest hits to date, including the Nigerian Starboy's massive singles and notable features. Updated in 2019.

Wizkid is one of the biggest artist coming out of Africa right now.

Keep reading... Show less
popular
Still taken YouTube.

The Oscars have Disqualified 'Joy', a Film about Nigerian Sex Workers, Submitted for Best International Feature Film

Like Genevieve Nnaji's 'Lionheart', the film has reportedly been disqualified by the Academy because of too much English dialogue.

It seems films from Nigeria or films about Nigerians can't seem to catch a break at the Oscars. Just last week, Genevieve Nnaji's Lionheart was disqualified from the Best International Feature Film category of the Oscars because of too much English dialogue. The film was Nigeria's first ever entry to the Oscars—a historic moment. Similarly, Austrian filmmaker Sudabeh Mortezai's Joy, a film about Nigerian sex workers living in Vienna, has also been disqualified by the Academy in the same category, according to Deadline.

Keep reading... Show less
popular
Deaan Vivier/Foto24/Gallo Images via Getty Images

Miss South Africa Wants Men to Write Love Letters to Women to Fight Against Gender-Based Violence

Unfortunately, there's nothing stopping abusive men from writing these love letters too.

South Africa's newly crowned Miss SA Zozibini "Zozi" Tunzi has launched a "HeForShe" campaign which aims to tackle the alarming rates of femicide and gender-based violence in the country. The campaign, which is in partnership with the South African arm of the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), wants South African men to step up and join the collective fight against abuse. However, the campaign has been criticized by many because of the way in which it wants men to step—by writing love letters to women. The campaign has divided South Africans, particularly those on social media.

Keep reading... Show less
popular
Romain Chanson/AFP via Getty Images

Former Gambian Beauty Queen Fatou Jallow's Movement Against Sexual Assault Gains Traction

After publicly accusing former President Yahya Jammeh of rape, young women under the #IamToufah banner are standing against sexual assault in the country.

A few months ago, former Gambian beauty queen Fatou 'Toufah' Jallow publicly accused former President Yahya Jammeh of rape. The 23-year-old alleged that Jammeh had raped her following her refusal of his marriage proposal during his time in office back in 2015. Under the leadership of current President Adama Barrow, The Gambian government established the Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRRC) which is now investigating human rights violations during Jammeh's tenure. Jallow, who is testifying at the commission, has spurred a movement where young women are taking a stand against sexual assault in the country under the #IamToufah banner.

Keep reading... Show less

get okayafrica in your inbox

news.

popular.