Samir Hussein/WireImage via Getty Images
More Black Students are Being Admitted into Cambridge University Because of Stormzy
Dubbed the 'Stormzy effect', admissions of Black students at the university are now up by 50 percent.
When Ghanaian-British rapper Stormzy is not busy making hit records such as "Vossi Bop" and "Shut Up", he's helping Black students get into one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Last year, the rapper launched his own scholarship which aims to provide funding for Black students wanting to be admitted into Cambridge University. According to AllHipHop, the rapper has been credited with a 50 percent increase in the admissions of Black students at the top-tier university. The phenomenon has now been dubbed the "Stormzy effect".
Speaking about his scholarship and why he felt the need to help Black students, Stormzy said that, "In school and college I had the ability and was almost destined to go to one of the top universities. But that didn't happen for myself... so hopefully there's another young Black student out there that can have that opportunity through my scholarship." He went on to add that, "I always said that there's a whole bunch of academically brilliant, excellent students who also need an incentive."
The Guardian reports that Cambridge University has been under heavy fire for its lack of diversity. Last year, statistics showed that the institution had failed to admit a single Black British student at more than one in four of its colleges during 2015 and 2017. David Lammy, the Labor MP for Tottenham, continued his calls for elite universities to increase diversity among students by saying that, "We need transparency if we are going to have progress on access to our elite institutions for students from disadvantaged and under-represented backgrounds."
From Your Site Articles
- 'Let This Be a Constant Dark Stain on British Society'—Stormzy Remembers the Victims of Grenfell Tower - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch: Stormzy's 'This Is What I Mean' Video - OkayAfrica ›
- Stormzy & Rema Join Forces on "Hide And Seek" Remix - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch Stormzy's Powerful BRIT Awards Performance Featuring Burna Boy - Okayplayer ›
- Stormzy Recruits Burna Boy & Ed Sheeran For 'Own It' - Okayplayer ›
- Stormzy Will Headline South Africa's 'Rocking the Daisies' Festival 2020 - Okayplayer ›