Still taken from YouTube.
Watch Burna Boy's Interview on Hot 97's 'Ebro In The Morning'
Burna Boy talks about his latest album 'Twice As Tall', working with Diddy as well as the difference between Afrofusion versus Afrobeat.
Last month, Nigerian superstar Burna Boy dropped his highly-anticipated album titled Twice As TallTwice As Talllast month. The album is the official follow-up to the Grammy-nominated African Giant album which was released in 2019. Twice As Tall features the likes of Chris Martin, Naughty By Nature, Sauti Sol, Stormzy and Youssou N'Dour. Executive-produced by Sean "Diddy" Combs and co-produced by Mama Burna (Bosede Ogulu), the album has already recently snagged the record for having the biggest opening weekend ever for an album (local or international) on the African continent (Sub-Saharan Africa markets). Recently, Burna Boy joined Hot 97's Ebro In The Morning to talk about his latest album, working with Diddy as well as Afrofusion versus Afrobeat.
The interview begins with Burna Boy speaking about how exciting and "interesting" it was to work with Diddy on the project. "We had to do it all on Zoom...We had to kind of create the same environment in different places at the same time." The conversation moves on briefly to one of the tracks on the album titled "Alarm Clock", an upbeat number with an insane rhythm. Ebro jokingly pleads with the Nigerian artist to make the track much longer to which he responds that he'll be performing an extended version of the song soon.
Naturally, Peter Rosenberg asks Burna why he refers to his particular sound as Afrofusion as opposed to Afrobeat. Burna Boy then responds by saying:
"...Afrofusion is me, I created that. The same way Afrobeat is Fela Kuti, he created that. There's a difference. I don't play every instrument. I'm not Fela, basically. I'm Burna Boy and we go about things rather very differently. It's a different genre. It just comes from Africa."
The trio go on to speak about drawing distinctions between the different genres of African music as opposed to "lumping everybody together". Burna says, "It's not fair. It's almost like putting hip-hop, R&B and dancehall into the same category, saying it's one thing and naming it Ameribeats." He goes on to add that, "It doesn't do justice to what's really going on. But at the same start, its like, we have to start somewhere."
It's a super chilled interview and of course Burna Boy is his usual mellow self––a definite must watch.
Watch the full interview below:
Burna Boy On Working w/ Diddy, AfroFusion, BET Awards & 'Twice as Tall'www.youtube.com
From Your Site Articles
- Burna Boy on His New Album: 'It's not really my comfort zone to be in ... ›
- Burna Boy's New Album 'Twice As Tall' Is Coming This Week ... ›
- Burna Boy Goes Platinum In France With 'Be Honest' - OkayAfrica ›
- Burna Boy, Angelique Kidjo, Trevor Noah Nominated for 2020 ... ›
- Burna Boy Returned a Fan His Ticket Money Because He Wasn't ... ›
- Burna Boy's 'African Giant' Album Certified Silver in the UK - OkayAfrica ›
- 3 Takeaways From Burna Boy’s 'Love, Damini' Tour Wardrobe - OkayAfrica ›
- Burna Boy Drops Highly Anticipated Single "Big 7" and Reveals Release Date for 7th Studio Album - Okayplayer ›
- Lil Durk Puts Out “All My Life (Remix)” With Burna Boy - Okayplayer ›