Get your daily fix of what's hot on the continent and the diaspora, May 9.
DIASPORA—Nigerian visual artist Victor Ehikhamenor, has called out controversial, British artist, Damien Hirst for replicating traditional Ife sculpture in his latest exhibition, “Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable,” without making any reference to Nigeria or Ife.
Ehikhamenor is currently representing Nigeria at the Venice Biennial, where he’s presenting his Benin-inspired collection “Biography of the Forgotten.” Upon coming across Hirst’s recreation, he took to Instagram to point out the artist’s lack of acknowledgement of the source of his design.
“For the thousands of viewers seeing this for the first time, they won't think Ife, they won't think Nigeria,” wrote Ehikhamenor. “Their young ones will grow up to know this work as Damien Hirst's. As time passes it will pass for a Damien Hirst regardless of his small print caption. The narrative will shift and the young Ife or Nigerian contemporary artist will someday be told by a long-nose critic ‘your work reminds me of Damien Hirst's Golden Head.’ We need more biographers for our forgotten."
Hirst has yet to respond. Read more via Pulse Nigeria.
The British are back for more from 1897 to 2017. The Oni of Ife must hear this. "Golden heads (Female)" by Damien Hirst currently part of his Venice show "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable" at Palazzo Grassi. For the thousands of viewers seeing this for the first time, they won't think Ife, they won't think Nigeria. Their young ones will grow up to know this work as Damien Hirst's. As time passes it will pass for a Damien Hirst regardless of his small print caption. The narrative will shift and the young Ife or Nigerian contemporary artist will someday be told by a long nose critic "Your work reminds me of Damien Hirst's Golden Head". We need more biographers for our forgotten. #ifesculptures #classicnigerianart #workbynigerianartist #ifenigeria #lestweforget #nigeria #abiographyoftheforgotten
A post shared by Victor Ehikhamenor (@victorsozaboy) on
DIASPORA—The Somali community in Minneapolis, Minnesota is currently facing a measles outbreak, which began in April. The recent outbreak has been largely fueled by anti-vaccine groups within the city, who’ve targeted Somali parents and convinced them not to vaccinate their children. There have been 44 cases reported so far. Read more about how vaccine-deniers continue to spread unscientific medical information that’s putting Somali-American children at risk.
DIASPORA—Nigerian afrobeats heavyweight, Davido, has welcomed his second child, Hailey, with his girlfriend, Amanda, who gave birth to the baby girl on Tuesday. The musician shared some snaps with followers from the delivery room. Check them out via Ynaija.com.
SOUTH AFRICA—A ban that prevented South Africa from hosting sporting events—due to its underrepresentation of black players in a range of athletics—has been lifted. The county is vying to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup. "This is great news and a tribute to the work that the sport has been doing in recent years to stay in tune and relevant to modern South Africa," said the country’s rugby president, Mark Alexander. Read the full story via BBC Africa.
DIASPORA—Ghanaian soccer star Sulley Muntari, says he’s ready to start a boycott in response to the rampant racial abuse he faces at the hands of European soccer fans. "I couldn't take it anymore, I’m human,” Muntari told CNN Sport.
"This isn't the first time it has happened. We talk about it and after maybe one week, two weeks, it's gone. Then, maybe after a month or two later, it happens somewhere and you get calls to talk about it and then it's shut again."
Read the full story, and check out a clip from Muntari's interview with CNN below.