AFRICA IN YOUR EARBUDS #12: LAMIN FOFANA
Lamin Fofana crafts "music without category out of found sounds, human voices, digital synthesizers, analog synthesizers and drum machines."
He handles the decks on Africa In Your Earbuds #12, delivering a slow burning eerie concoction of cuts from the likes of Sade, Cesária Évora (RIP) and some of his own edits. In Lamin's own words:
There wasn't a great deal of digging for this mixtape. All the songs and sounds presented here [come] directly from my phone/portable media player. These are the songs I enjoy listening to while riding the subway or walking around Brooklyn and Manhattan. It's fairly calm, maybe a little dark.
There's a little obscure edit of... Drexciya's "Unknown Journey I" ... I added this extremely beautiful vocal from a Malian singer. It's a raw field recording from a Sublime Frequencies compilation from some years back.
Lamin Fofana just released the excellent Dubious Prey EP which you can grab from UK imprint Sticks "N" Stones. Stream and download AIYE #12: Lamin Fofana below!
- Remi Kabaka / Black Goddess // Nigeria
- Sophia Shibabaw / Oh Enie Man Negne // Ethiopia
- Mark Ernestus Meets BBC // Germany, South Africa
- Selia And His Accordion / Tondo Muya // Sierra Leone
- Cesaria Evora / Sodade // Cape Verde
- Sade - The Sweetest Taboo // England, Nigeria
- Drexciya / Unknown Journey I (Lamin Fofana Original Autorail Edit) // Somewhere deep in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Mali, West Africa
- Bembeya Jazz National / Petit Sekou // Guinea
- Sekouba Bambino with Kandia Kouyate / Doumaya // Guinea
- Lamin Fofana / A Room in Brooklyn // Sierra Leone, sometimes Guinea