popular
Photo by Cellou Binani/AFP via Getty Images

Two Protesters Have Been Killed During Continued Anti-Government Protests in Guinea

Thousands of Guineans continue to protest against President Alpha Condé seeking a third term.

Guinea continues to be engulfed in anti-government protests which started in mid-October of last year. The protests are in response to proposed amendments to the West African country's constitution which will see President Alpha Condé running for a third term in this year's elections.

According to the BBC, two protesters have been shot dead during the anti-government protests which have brought Guinea to a standstill.


Among the protesters killed was a student from the capital city of Conakry and another youth from Labe, a city in the northern region of Guinea. Aljazeera reports that at least 20 protesters and one security officer have been killed since the massive demonstrations began.

The National Front for the Defence of the Constitution (FNDC) is the coalition of opposition parties and civil societies which has been organizing the demonstrations and mobilizing protesters. The FNDC issued a statement which partially read: "The FNDC's call for resistance is being widely followed in several cities in Guinea. This has resulted in a total paralysis of the main roads, the closure of shops and businesses."

Speaking at one of the protests held last year, prominent opposition leader Cellou Diallo said that, "We encourage citizens to continue to demonstrate - today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow - until our legitimate demands are satisfied. We need a clear, firm and irrevocable declaration from Alpha Condé renouncing a third term."

While President Condé has said in the past that a third term would be dependent on the "will of the people", this is however, very unlikely. According to local media reports, a massive campaign is currently underway to support and usher in the new constitution.

Protests are largely concentrated in Conakry, Boffa and N'Zerekore.

popular
Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images.

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak Passes Away

The former Egyptian president, who was ousted in 2011 during the Arab Spring Uprising, was aged 91.

Egypt's former President Hosni Mubarak passed away yesterday according to reports by the BBC.

The former statesman's death comes barely a year after his successor and Egypt's first democratically-elected president Mohamed Morsi, suffered a fatal heart attack.

Keep reading... Show less
popular
Photo by Issue Sanogo/AFP via Getty Images

Togolese President Wins Re-election to Secure Fourth Term in Office

President Faure Gnassingbé prepares for a fourth term in office following an election wrought with fraud allegations.

Togo's electoral commission has just released the preliminary results of the first round of the presidential election.

President Faure Gnassingbé reportedly secured 72 percent of the vote while his main opposition and former Prime Minister Agbeyome Kodjo who straddled behind with just 18 percent of the vote, according to Aljazeera.

Keep reading... Show less
popular

Davido's Fiancé, Chioma Rowland, Tests Positive For Coronavirus

The Nigerian musician made the announcement via a heartfelt Instagram post on Friday.

Chioma Rowland, the fiancé of star Nigerian musician Davido, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The artist shared the news via Instagram on Friday, writing that he and 31 people on his team decided to get tested after returning back to Lagos from abroad. While he and the rest of his team received negative results, Rowland's test came back positive.

"Unfortunately, my fiancé's results came back positive while all 31 others tested have come back negative including our baby," wrote Davido. He added that they both showed no systems, but would be self-isolating as a safety measure.

"We are however doing perfectly fine and she is even still yet to show any symptoms whatsoever. She is now being quarantined and I have also gone into full self isolation for the minimum 14 days," he added. "I want to use this opportunity to thank you all for your endless love and prayers in advance and to urge everyone to please stay at home as we control the spread of this virus! Together we can beat this!"

Keep reading... Show less
popular

Juls Drops New Music Video for 'Soweto Blues' Featuring Busiswa and Jaz Karis

The Ghanaian-British producer heads to South Africa for the music video for the amapiano-inspired track.

Heavyweight Ghanaian-British producer Juls shares his first offering of 2020, and it does not disappoint.

The producer enlists South African music star Busiswa and London's Jaz Karis for the jazz-inflected "Soweto Blues," which also boasts elements of South Africa's dominant electronic sound, Amapiano. The slow-burner features airy vocals from Karis who features prominently on the 3-minute track, while Busiswa delivers a standout bridge in her signature high-energy tone.

"The song dubbed "Soweto Blues" is a song depicting the love, sadness and fun times that Soweto tends to offer its people," read the song's YouTube description. The video premiered earlier today on The Fader. "The energy is amazing, the people are lovely and I've found a second home — especially the vibrancy of Soweto," the producer told The Fader about his trip to Soweto for the making of the video "Jaz Karis is singing a love song, which is symbolic of my new love of Soweto and I'm honoured to have worked with Busiswa whom I have been a fan of for a long time."

Fittingly, the music video sees Juls traveling through the township, taking in its sights and energy. The video, directed by Nigel Stöckl, features striking shots of the popular area and its skilled pantsula dancers.

Keep reading... Show less

get okayafrica in your inbox

news.

popular.