Nike Has Unveiled a New Nigeria 2020 Kit—and It's Just as Striking as the First
The Super Eagle's new kits are an impressive follow-up to the 2018 design.
Nike and Nigeria have done it again.
On Wednesday, the sporting brand unveiled a brand new Nigeria kit. This comes after the success of the wildly popular World Cup kit from 2018 which seamlessly fused streetwear with athletic function. The famous design was even nominated for the Beazley Design of the Year Award the year of its release.
The 2020 design is just as striking, featuring an angled, hand-drawn green design on top of a cream base. The Super Eagles's football crest is placed at the top front of the jersey, with the signature Nike swoop underneath. Matching sock sets were also unveiled for both colors of the jersey.
"This jersey is hand painted and based on a combination of traditional African techniques," said Creative Partner Grace Ladoja of the new design.
The design was inspired by Onaism, a traditional Yoruba artistic movement which emphasizes ornamentation and the traditional agbada worn mostly by men in various parts of West Africa.
The images caused quite the response on Twitter after they were shared by Nike's Senior Director of Global Communication, Heidi Burgett yesterday, who also announces that Nike will follow-up with an entire collection of new Nigerian gear, including a poncho, dress, vest and other pieces.
It looks like Nigeria may have won "best kit" once again. Needless to say, we're excited to see the rest of the line, and most folks online seem to share in this excitement.
From Your Site Articles
- Nigeria's World Cup Kits Are Up for a Major Design Award - OkayAfrica ›
- This Nike Short Highlights the Power of Women Soccer Players In ... ›
- The Secret Behind Nike's New Naija Football Kits are Nigerians ... ›
- Nigeria's Iconic Nike World Cup Kit Is Being Re-Released - OkayAfrica ›
- Meet Telz, the Breakout Producer From Burna Boy's 'Twice As Tall' - OkayAfrica ›
- Nike Just Opened Its First Official Store in Lagos - OkayAfrica ›