The MOBO Awards Are Taking the Year Off to 'Revamp'
The award show will be back "bigger and bolder" in 2019 says the CEO.
The UK-based MOBO awards, dedicated to recognizing the work of black musicians, will be taking a break in 2018, reports The Fader.
Awards organizers announced on Tuesday that the show will return in 2019, but will take the year off to revamp. "We understand that the MOBO Awards will be missed this year, but we will be back in 2019, bigger and bolder," says MOBO CEO Kanya King.
The award show has long recognized the work of African artists. Past winners include Idris Elba, British-Ghanaian grim heavyweight Stormzy who was the most awarded artist at last year's show, as well as Nigerian pop stars Davido and Wizkid. British-Gambian MC J Hus also took home an award at last year's show.
Instead of holding an awards ceremony this year, organizers plan to honor artists with an event at London's British Library in October, reports the Fader.
Folks have been reacting to the announcement online with some supporting the decision, and others a tad more skeptical. Check out some responses to the news below.