News Brief
Ashraf Shazly/AFP via Getty Images.

Sudanese Government to Hand Over Former President Omar al-Bashir to the ICC

Sudan's Sovereign Council has agreed to hand over former president Omar al-Bashir to the International Criminal Court to face charges of genocide and war crimes.

According to the BBC, Sudan's current transitional government or Sovereign Council, has agreed to hand over former president Omar al-Bashir to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to face charges of genocide and war crimes.

Last year, al-Bashir was forced to step down after Sudan's historic uprising which saw months of protests and pressure from the military eventually force the statesman out of office. Al-Bashir has been in prison under heavy guard in the capital of Khartoum since then.


According to Associated Press, al-Bashir is wanted largely for his role in the 2003 conflict in Darfur. He is currently facing three counts of genocide, five counts of crimes against humanity and two counts of war crimes during his thirty-year long rule over Sudan. Al-Bashir has been on the ICC's wanted list for over a decade now.

A spokesman for the Sudanese government, Mohammed Hassan al-Taishi, recently spoke to Associated Press saying , "We agreed that everyone who had arrest warrants issued against them will appear before the ICC. I'm saying it very clearly." Al-Taishi added that, "We can only achieve justice if we heal the wounds with justice itself. We cannot escape from confronting that."

CNN reports that Sudan's recent decision to hand over al-Bashir to the ICC is part of an agreement they entered into with the rebel movement in Darfur.

Following last year's uprising, Sudan's—military which was in charge of the country at the time before the formation of the current Sovereign Council—announced that it would not allow al-Bashir to be extradited for his alleged crimes and that a trial would be conducted in Sudan instead.

What remains unclear at this point is an established timeline that details when exactly this is set to happen.

Popular
Still from 'Road to Yesterday'

Kayode Kasum’s Quarantine Watchlist

From 'Wives on Strike' to 'Goodwill Hunting' here's what the Nigerian filmmaker is watching while stuck at home in Lagos.

Kayode Kasum, like most filmmakers, has been stagnated by the coronavirus pandemic. The director behind the blockbuster Sugar Rush and the critically acclaimed Oga Bolaji was working on the post-production of his upcoming movies, The Fate of Alakada: Party Planner and Kambili—a collaboration between FilmOne Entertainment and Chinese Huahua Media— when the Nigerian government announced the lockdown order.

While post-production on Alakada has concluded, the stay-at-home orders have delayed work on Kambili. "Since the team cannot meet at a single point, we are moving hard drives left and right," he says to me over the phone from his home in Lagos. "It is a challenge, but the beautiful thing about a challenge is, when you make it work, it is fulfilling."

Still from 'Kambili'

Kasum has turned to books and films for an escape from the unpleasant realities of the pandemic. "I have been reading Elnathan's books: Born on a Tuesday and Becoming Nigeria," he tells me. "I have also been reading film directing books, Directing Actors by Judith Weston." However, Kasum longs for the movies. "I miss going to the cinemas; I miss that experience," he says. "There are times during this pandemic that I'm like 'na wa o, I wish I can go to the cinema.'"

Below are five films he recommends you watch during this pandemic.

Keep reading... Show less

get okayafrica in your inbox

popular.

Listen to Mr Eazi's New Song 'I No Go Give Up On You'

The Nigerian artist also recently announced an upcoming EP.