Somali President Replaces Former Prime Minister Ahead of Elections
President Mohamed Abduallahi Mohamed has announced Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble as Somalia's new prime minister ahead of upcoming elections.
President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, also known as Farmaajo, has reportedly announced new prime minister, Hussein Roble. This news comes after the ousting of former prime minister Hassan Ali Khaire in July for allegedly not supporting the upcoming elections in 2021. Farmaajo's Deputy Chief of Staff shared the announcement on Twitter hours after reaching a final agreement with regional leaders in Mogadishu.
Congrats to our newly appointed Prime Minister H.E Mohamed Hussein Roble. I am sure you’ll serve our country with d… https://t.co/jj70xdPsOS— Abdinur Mohamed (@Abdinur Mohamed)1600380601.0
Roble is reported to have studied civil engineering in Sweden and previously worked for the International Labour Organisation, a United Nations agency. Robel carries dual citizenship with Sweden and Somalia. He fled to Sweden in 1992, shortly after the armed coup that thrust the country into its long civil war. He became a Swedish citizen five years later.
Somalia has been under civil wars since 1991. The country on the horn of Africa has experienced civil unrest due to al-Shabab terrorist attacks, pirates on the coast affecting international trade and government that often often silences the public by shutting down internet access. Since African Union's peacekeeping efforts in 2017, Somali youth diaspora are reportedly returning to the country even though government corruption is reportedly rising and regional power struggles remain.
Farmaajo is expected to run for a second presidential term next year competing against at least two other former presidents. The African Union hopes next year elections will follow democratic process of one man one vote but it is unclear if this will be fulfilled. Somalia's previous elections have consisted of clan delegates choosing members of parliament, who in turn chose a national leader. Roble's appointment has yet to be officiated in parliament.
- A Short History Of Modern Somali Music - OkayAfrica ›
- Learn How the 70s Became Somalia's Golden Age of Music in This ... ›
- The Lost Songs From Somalia's Golden Age of Music Are Compiled ... ›
- Prominent Somali Activist Almaas Elman Shot and Killed In Mogadishu ›
- Former Somali Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein Has Passed ... ›
- Somalia's First Female Presidential Candidate Vows to Negotiate ... ›
- Somalia Has Declared Its New President - OkayAfrica ›
- Somalia Shuts Down Internet Amid Prime Minister's Vote of No ... ›
- Somalian Activist Ilwad Elman Wins Prestigious 2020 German Africa Prize - OkayAfrica ›