Museveni Calls Bobi Wine Torture 'Fake News' as #FreeBobiWine Movement Grows
The Ugandan president has released a statement on the alleged torture of Bobi Wine by military forces.
President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda has spoken out about the arrest of musician and opposition lawmaker Robert Kyagulanyi , better known as Bobi Wine for the first time since events unfolded last week, calling reports that he'd been tortured while in police custody "fake news," reports BBC Africa.
In a statement released on Sunday, 74-year-old Museveni says military doctors informed him that Wine had "no head or chest injuries or bone fractures."
"Fellow Ugandans, the events that have occurred in the last few weeks are not isolated," said Museveni. "And we should not treat them in that manner...We must unite in condemnation but also revive the calls for a national dialogue that will lead to justice, accountability and a new Uganda."
The response comes after Wine's lawyer Medard Segona said on Thursday, that the artist's health was in "dire state" and he had been unable to walk or talk properly during his court appearance due to injuries he had sustained.
Eddy Yawe, Wine's brother, spoke to the BBC about Wine's condition, telling the publication that his brother had been"brutally tortured by a group of soldiers, including on his genitals, and that they had injected him several times with an unknown substance."
Wine's supporters have asked that security forces be put on trial for their treatment of the opposition MP. They have also called on the US and EU to block foreign travel for Museveni and members of his administration.
Support for Wine only appears to be growing on social media, as supporters, fans and fellow musicians alike continue to push for his immediate release, and demand that the government #FreeBobiWine.