The 16 Best South African Songs of the Month (August)
The best South African songs of the month featuring Vigro Deep, Nasty C, Mr JazziQ, 25K and more.
Here are the South African songs and music videos that caught our attention in August.
Beast “Amandla Wakho” (featuring Senzie Nkosie)
In the opening song to It's a Rap, Beast's latest EP, the Durban lyricist raps his appreciation to his mother. "Amandla Wakho" will take you to church setting the standard for an impressive EP ahead.
Vigro Deep “Piano King”
Vigro Deep showcases his mastery as a producer on "Piano King," the only song in his latest album, Rise of a Baby Boy, that doesn't feature a vocalist. Reminiscent of the early days of amapiano when most of the genre's songs were mostly instrumental, "Piano King" is a strong flex from one of South Africa's most exciting producers.
An attention-grabbing opener for the Joburg duo's latest EP TWO ON TWO.
Nasty C “Bookoo Bucks” (featuring Lil Gotiti & Lil Keed)
Nasty C and his guests Lil Gotit and Lil Keed deliver an impressive trap gem produced by ATL Jacob whose claim to fame was producing several songs on Future's Future Hndrxx Presents: The WIZRD.
Joda Kgosi “Truth Is”
Joda Kgosi, a promising voice in South Africa's growing R&B scene, released her second single this month. "Truth Is" showcases her effective writing and her prominent vocals.
25K “Ghettho Angels”
If you ever thought 25K couldn't match his breakout single "Culture Vulture," "Ghetto Angels" says hi. The artist maintains his style without replicating his old work.
Mr JazziQ “Superstar” (featuring Lady Du)
A song reminiscent of old school kwaito and 90s outdoor childhood games, "Superstar" stands out in Mr JazziQ's latest EP For The Babies.
Killer Kau “Banda Mpo” (featuring Kaummu Dee)
Killer Kau and Kammu Dee connect in "Banda Mpo", a song that has huge potential to be this summer's drinking anthem. "Banda Mpo" stands out in Killer Kau's latest EP Game Changer.
Ms Cosmo “Baningi” (featuring Sho Madjozi, Dee Koala & Nelisiwe Sibiya)
Ms Cosmo assembled an interesting combination of artists who come together for a militant cry against men's dishonest and trashy ways.
Yallunder, Mzukulu & Anzo “Abanjani”
Yallunder, Mzukulu & Anzo gather for a potent Afrosoul ballad which appears on the compilation Isambulo.
MFR Souls (featuring Major League, Kamo Mphela and Bontle Smith) “Amanikiniki”
Kamo Mphela and Bontle Smith totally own this amapiano banger.
Tony X “Duze”
Tony X's latest song "Duze" treats itself as both R&B and Afrosoul without trying. Tony X is one to watch, and "Duze" is the kind of song South African radio could eat up.
Ginger Trill “Hoop Dream$”
Ginger Trill pays homage to Westside Gunn by channeling him over soulful boom bap production in the song "Hoop Dream$" from the South African lyricist's latest release From Potch With Love.
Cassper Nyovest (featuring Zola 7) “Bonginkosi”
Cassper Nyovest and Zola 7 take it to church in their highly anticipated collaborative single. "Bonginkosi" has the potential to be a mega hit considering South Africa's love for gospel music.
Xplosive DJ “Hey Now” (featuring Indigo Stella)
Indigo Stella proves making songs is easy for her, as her raps and melodies sound effortless on "Hey Now" produced by the talented Xplosive DJ. Be sure to not sleep on his new EP Plan B.
Miss Pru “uHulumeni” (featuring PA Fakaloice, Blaq Diamond, Malome Vector, Manny Yack)
A trademark Ambitiouz Entertainment posse cut, "uHulumeni" by Miss Pru features a lineup of emerging talent showcasing their unique styles. Miss Pru, Blaq Diamond and Malome Vector are on a roll.
Follow our MZANSI HEAT playlist on Spotify here and Apple Music here.
- The 13 Best South African Songs of The Month - OkayAfrica ›
- The 23 Best South African Songs of the Month - OkayAfrica ›
- The 20 Best South African Songs of 2019 - OkayAfrica ›
- 12 Essential Anti-Apartheid Struggle Songs from South Africa and ... ›
- The Influence of 'Summer Daze' on South African Music - OkayAfrica ›
- Here's a List of the 2020 South African Music Awards (SAMAs ... ›
- 15 South African Female Musicians Pushing the Boundaries ... ›
- South Africans Are Trying to Figure Out Why Nigerian Musicians ... ›
- The WAV 2019: 10 Artists Shaping the Future of South African Music ... ›
- Davido Wins a South African Music Award for 'A Good Time ... ›
- Apple Music's 'Stream Local' to Support South African Artists ... ›
- Interview: Xplosive DJ Calls Many Places Home With His Debut Release ‘Plan B’ - OkayAfrica ›
- The 16 Best South African Songs of the Month (September) - OkayAfrica ›
- Cassper Nyovest Shares Heavenly Visuals for 'Bonginkosi' featuring Zola 7 - OkayAfrica ›
- Listen to Ginger Trill Share His Backstory and Discuss His Latest Album in New in ‘No Hidden Agenda Podcast’ Interview - OkayAfrica ›
- Listen To Yallunder’s Debut EP ‘Uthando Lwam’ - OkayAfrica ›
- The 30 Best South African Hip-Hop Songs of 2020 - OkayAfrica ›
- Kamo Mphela Drops New Single ‘Nkulunkulu’ Ahead of Upcoming EP ›
- The 15 Best South African Songs of the Month (March) - OkayAfrica ›
- Kamo Mphela's Latest EP 'Nkulunkulu' is a Must-Listen - OkayAfrica ›
- Mr JazziQ Drops Highly Anticipated Amapiano Album 'Party With The English' ›