NEWS

Today in Africa — Feb 17, 2026: More U.S. Third-Country Deportations to Cameroon, Kenya Accused of Spying on Activist Boniface Mwangi

OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On Feb 17, coverage includes: U.S. deporting migrants with no ties to Cameroon under its third-country removal program, a new report alleging Kenyan authorities used Israeli surveillance technology to hack the phone of pro-democracy activist Boniface Mwangi, and more.

Kenyan pro-democracy activist Boniface Mwangi stands at a podium in front of mic, addressing a crowd of supporters.
Kenyan authorities are accused of using Israeli-made surveillance technology to hack into prominent activist Boniface Mwangi’s phone while he was in custody last year.

Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening on the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.

U.S. Sends Another Group of Third-Country Deportees to Cameroon

A new group of migrants with no ties to Cameroon was deported from the U.S. to Cameroon yesterday, Monday, February 16, lawyers say, quietly expanding a program under the administration of Donald Trump that removes people to third countries. Lawyers believe eight non-Cameroonian nationals arrived in Yaoundé on the latest flight, days after it emerged that nine others were sent there last month. Two of those nine have since been returned to their home countries, while lawyers say they are now advising both groups.

Lawyers say most of the earlier deportees had U.S. protection orders barring return to their home countries over fears of persecution, and were instead sent to Cameroon through what they describe as a legal workaround. The U.S. has struck similar deals with several African countries and has spent at least $40 million to deport roughly 300 people to third countries, according to Senate Democrats. The State Department and Homeland Security confirmed deportations but offered few details, while activists warn the policy risks exposing migrants to abuse and weak legal protections.

Report Says Kenyan Authorities Used Israeli Tech to Hack Activist’s Phone

A new report by Citizen Lab says Kenyan authorities used Israeli-made surveillance technology to break into the phone of activist Boniface Mwangi while he was under arrest last year. Mwangi, a well-known pro-democracy activist who plans to run for president in 2027, noticed after his release that his personal phone no longer required a password. The device contained private family photos and messages. Citizen Lab says, with high confidence, that software made by Cellebrite was used while the phone was in police custody, potentially allowing full access to messages, files, financial data, and passwords. Citizen Lab is a research group that investigates digital spying, phone hacking, and online surveillance targeting journalists, activists, and civil society around the world.

The report adds to wider concerns about the digital surveillance of activists in Kenya. Amnesty International previously said Mwangi’s arrest and prosecution appeared aimed at intimidating lawful dissent. Mwangi was released on bond and is due back in court this week. Cellebrite says it reviews misuse claims and can suspend licenses when evidence is provided, but declined to comment on this specific case. Kenyan police and the Kenyan embassy in Washington did not respond to requests for comment. Citizen Lab says similar tools have been used against activists in other countries, raising fresh questions about accountability and the risks faced by civil society figures.

100 U.S. Troops Arrive in Nigeria to Boost Fight Against Islamist Insurgents

About 100 U.S. military personnel have arrived in Nigeria as Washington steps up support for operations targeting Islamist insurgents, Nigerian defense officials say. The deployment follows U.S. airstrikes on Islamic State–linked fighters on Christmas Day and includes troops and equipment sent to northern states in recent days. Nigeria’s military says the U.S. team will train and advise local forces and help strengthen intelligence, but will not take part in combat. Officials expect about 200 more U.S. troops to arrive.

The move comes amid renewed pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump, who has accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from militant attacks in the northwest. Nigerian authorities reject the claim, saying security forces target armed groups that kill both Christians and Muslims. Nigeria’s presidential spokesperson says the country needs more U.S. support, including fighter jets and munitions, as it confronts ongoing violence linked to Islamist groups and other armed actors.

Tunisia Jails Five Over 2023 Djerba Synagogue Attack

Tunisian courts have sentenced five people to prison terms of up to 15 years for their roles in the May 2023 attack on the Ghriba synagogue, which killed five people. The gunman, a National Guard officer, first shot three colleagues at a port before killing two Jewish worshippers at the synagogue; two wounded officers later died. His fiancée received eight years for complicity in homicide, a student was sentenced to three years, the attacker’s sister to one year, and two others to seven and 15 years, including a harsher sentence for a defendant who fled. A lawyer says the assailant acted alone, while defense teams plan to appeal. Tunisia’s Jewish community, previously at over 100,000, now numbers about 1,500 people, most of them in Djerba.

Kenyan Airport Strike Ends After Two Days of Disruption in Nairobi

Airport workers in Kenya called off a strike today, Tuesday, February 17, after two days of disruption that left passengers stranded and flights delayed at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, one of Africa’s busiest hubs. The transport ministry says it brokered a deal with the Kenya Aviation Workers Union to end the action, adding that operations at the Nairobi airport and other facilities would return to normal. However, it was unclear how long full recovery would take. The union had gone ahead with the strike despite a court order, citing unresolved grievances, including a stalled collective bargaining agreement, while passengers described sleeping on the airport floor and waiting hours with little information.

Gold Rush Fever Grips South African Township as Prospectors Chase Rumors

Dozens of hopeful diggers have descended on an informal settlement in Springs, about 50 kilometers east of Johannesburg in South Africa, after claims spread online that gold was found while a man dug a fence post at a nearby cattle kraal. The rush began around February 8 and quickly drew crowds scouring the ground, fueled by high unemployment of about 32 percent and gold prices topping $5,000 an ounce. Authorities say the digging is illegal and environmentally damaging, and the Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources has urged prospectors to seek permits while officials still verify whether gold is present. Mining experts warn the excitement may be premature, pointing to past false alarms, including a 2021 rush in KwaZulu-Natal that turned out to be quartz rather than diamonds.

Nigeria Opens Data Probe Into Temu Over Privacy Concerns

Nigeria’s data protection regulator has launched an investigation into Temu over suspected violations of the country’s data laws, raising the risk of penalties in Africa’s most populous market. The Nigeria Data Protection Commission said it is examining Temu’s data-processing practices, including concerns about online surveillance, unclear handling of user information, cross-border data transfers, and possible breaches of data-minimisation rules. NDPC chief Vincent Olatunji ordered the probe and warned that companies found non-compliant could be held liable. Temu, owned by PDD Holdings, did not immediately comment. The platform reportedly handles data from about 12.7 million Nigerians and has grown quickly in the country through an app-based marketplace offering deep discounts on consumer goods.

Trump’s Ambassador Nominee Arrives in South Africa as Ties Remain Strained

Leo Brent Bozell III, U.S. President Donald Trump’s nominee for ambassador to South Africa, has arrived in the country and is expected to present his credentials to President Cyril Ramaphosa before formally taking up the post. His arrival comes as relations between Washington and Pretoria remain tense, following Trump’s accusations that South Africa persecutes its white minority, criticism of its ties with Russia and China, new tariffs on South African exports, and a cut in U.S. aid. At his Senate confirmation hearing, Bozell said he would pursue a “lasting partnership” while pressing South Africa to drop its genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice, support a U.S. refugee program for white South Africans, and promote business interests — positions likely to deepen friction with a government that strongly backs Palestinian rights and rejects claims of white persecution.

Niger and Algeria Reset Ties With Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline Deal

Abdourahamane Tiani, Niger’s junta leader, met Abdelmadjid Tebboune in Algiers yesterday, Monday, February 16, to announce a reset in relations and plans to build a major gas pipeline crossing Niger. Tebboune says the talks ended an “abnormal period of chilliness” after tensions flared in April, when Algeria shot down a Malian drone, prompting Niger, Mali, and Burkina Faso to recall their ambassadors. The 4,000-kilometer Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline will carry gas from Nigeria to Algeria via Niger, with initial steps expected after Ramadan; the long-planned project has been stalled for more than 15 years but gained momentum earlier this year before the diplomatic rift. Tebboune also pledged support for Niger’s struggling economy, including health and education projects, as Algeria moves to rebuild ties with Sahel states, even as relations with Mali remain strained.