Akon Confirms Agreement For His New City In Senegal, 'Akon City'
It's official, Akon is developing a new city in Senegal.
Akonis developing his own city in Senegal.
The musician and entrepreneur confirmed the signing of the agreement for Akon City earlier this week in an Instagram post. "Just finalized the agreement for AKON CITY in Senegal. Looking forward to hosting you there in the future," he wrote.
Akon had previously talked about his plans to launch a "Crypto City" in Senegal which would run on his own cyptocurrency, AKoin.
He's also been working on initiatives like the Lighting Africa Project, which aims to bring electricity to homes in West Africa through solar power.
Akon explained his plans in more detail last year in an interview with Nick Cannon: ""It's all renewable, the Akon-tainment solar city," he mentions. "It's a 10-year building block so we're doing it in stages. We started construction in March and stage two is going to be 2025."
The Jakarta Postreports that Akon signed the agreement with the state-owned tourism company SAPCO to build the city:
"SAPCO Secretary General Aliune Ndiaye told AFP that the deal was a memorandum of understanding, so the size of the future investment is still unclear. He added, however, that Akon plans to build a complex in the seaside village of Mbodiene, some 120 kilometers south of the capital Dakar," The Jakarta Post writes.
See Akon's announcement below.
From Your Site Articles
- 'Incorruptible' Documentary Looks Inside Artist-Led Youth Movement ... ›
- BET Was Heavy on African Content This Year, But Still Didn't ... ›
- 10 Musicians From Côte d'Ivoire You Should Be Listening To ... ›
- Afrobeats Artists Talk About the Best Nigerian and Ghanaian Music ... ›
- On The Red Carpet At The African Diaspora Awards In NYC [Photos ... ›
- Akon Answers 'The Questions' For Okayafrica TV - OkayAfrica ›
- Making Music Between the Cracks In Senegal - OkayAfrica ›