Anatii Has Been Nominated for BET's Soul Train Awards Alongside Beyoncé
The nomination is in recognition of the South African rapper's contribution as a composer to Beyoncé's 'Brown Skin Girl'.
Beyoncé's The Lion King: The Gift album has landed a number of nominations within the subcategories of BET's prestigious Soul Train Awards. "Spirit" has been nominated for both "Best Dance Performance" and "Video of the Year" while "Brown Skin Girl", which featured Blue Ivy, Wizkid and Saint Jhn, has been nominated for "Best Collaboration" and The Ashford and Simpson Songwriter's Award. The latter is where South African hip-hop artist and rapper Anatii is up for a nomination because of his contribution as a composer, according to Billboard. Fellow composers Michael Uzowuru and Ayodeji Balogun as well as several other composers have also been nominated for the award.
It is unsurprising that "Brown Skin Girl" has been nominated for multiple categories within the Soul Train Award. The hit track, which swiftly took the world by storm when it dropped, has since become an uplifting anthem for Black girls everywhere. It prompted excited reactions in the form of the #BrownSkinGirlChallenge where the likes of Lupita Nyong'o (who Beyoncé name drops in the song) participated. The track also inspired a number of cover versions including that of Ghanaian-British rapper Stormzy and Nigerian artist Simi.
The Soul Train Awards will take place on November 17th in Las Vegas.
- Beyoncé Wore These 2 African Designers in Her Music Video for ... ›
- Beyoncé Enlists African Artist and Producers for 'The Lion King: The ... ›
- Watch Stormzy Deliver a Cover of 'Brown Skin Girl' - OkayAfrica ›
- You Need To See the Trailer For Beyoncé's 'Black Is King' - OkayAfrica ›
- Where to See More of Beyoncé's 'Black Is King' - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch Beyoncé's Music Video For 'Brown Skin Girl' - OkayAfrica ›
- South Africa Celebrates Anatii's First Grammy Win - OkayAfrica ›
- Did South Africa's Anatii Win a Grammy For 'Brown Skin Girl'? - OkayAfrica ›