The Nigerian star channels pain, frustration and disappointment in his latest release.
Nigerian music heavyweight Burna Boy is not letting 2020 slow him down.
The track title comes from the traumatic event that occurred on 20 October 2020, when Nigerian government officials allowed military personnel to shoot at and murder Nigerian citizens at Lekki toll gate in Lagos, Nigeria. The event, being referred to as the "Lekki Massacre," marks a pivotal point within the 12 days that hundreds of young Nigerians peacefully protested police brutality at the hands of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The song, produced by The Elements, opens with a simple melodic line that really grips you. Burna Boy leaves no room for ambiguity when it comes to his stances on social and political situations and he speaks directly to his Nigerian countryfolk in the lyrics. "Water runaway my eye! Nothin wey you go talk wey go justify the case of their murder," he says in the song, calling out the appropriate authorities to investigate and bring justice to those who were made to suffer.
Burna Boy uses the song to raise concerns around corruption, 'godfatherism' and the staggering rates of youth unemployment in his home of Nigeria. "20:10:20" borrows audio from real life traumatic events, to really drive the message home.
Listen to Burna Boy's new single "20:10:20" here.
Burna Boy - 20 10 20 (Audio)youtu.be
- Dangote Isn't Nigeria's Hero, But Don't Ask Burna Boy - OkayAfrica ›
- Burna Boy Returned a Fan His Ticket Money Because He Wasn't ... ›
- Burna Boy Says Drake Didn't Credit Him On 'More Life' - OkayAfrica ›
- Burna Boy Will No Longer Be Part of Afropunk's Line-Up - OkayAfrica ›
- The 20 Essential Burna Boy Songs - OkayAfrica ›
- Here Are All the Samples In Burna Boy's 'African Giant' - OkayAfrica ›
- Burna Boy's New Album 'Twice As Tall' Is Coming This Week ... ›
- Watch Burna Boy & Chris Martin's Electric Performance at the BET ... ›