Even though his mother doesn't approve, Lionel won't let cultural differences tear him and his girlfriend, Mary, apart.
Last week, the CBC posted a clip from the finale of their airport-based television show Hello Goodbye Canada.
The video shared the story of Mary and Lionel, two young lovers from opposite sides of the African continent— Mary from West Africa and Lionel from East Africa.
Warning: the video below might trigger unwanted emotions and possibly cause you to "ugly cry."
Sadly, Mary and Lionel's story is one that some of us are all too familiar with. The pressure to be with someone whom your parents approve of can be very real, and it makes it even harder when you add regional and cultural differences to the mix, but it seems the love that these two have for one another is even more real.
I really didn't want to be in my feelings this Valentine's day, but after watching this heartwarming story, that clearly won't be happening.
Happy Valentine's Day, guys!
- The Best East African Songs of the Month (April) - OkayAfrica ›
- The 7 Best East African Songs of the Month (July) - OkayAfrica ›
- The 6 Best East African Songs of the Month (August) - OkayAfrica ›
- The 6 Best East African Songs of the Month (October) - OkayAfrica ›
- The 20 Best East African Songs of 2021 - OkayAfrica ›
- The 6 Best East African Songs of the Month (January) - OkayAfrica ›