Michaela Coel Joins the 'Black Panther' Sequel Cast
The upcoming film, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, is shaping up.
The sequel to the Oscar-winning Black Panther is only due to debut in July of 2022, but the production is well on its way.
The latest news out of the camp is that Michaela Coel, of I May Destroy You and Chewing Gum fame, has officially joined the cast of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Her character details are still under wraps but according to Variety, Coel has already joined director Ryan Coogler at Atlanta's Pinewood Studios, where production started in late June.
Coel joins original cast members Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Lupita Nyong'o, Florence Kasumba, and Angela Bassett all reprising their roles. Following the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, Marvel reportedly chose not to recast the role of T'Challa.
"It's clearly very emotional without Chad," Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige mentions. "But everyone is also very excited to bring the world of Wakanda back to the public and back to the fans. We're going to do it in a way that would make Chad proud."
Michaela Coel's highly-lauded 2020 series I May Destroy You — which she wrote, directed, produced and stared in — received four Emmy nominations.
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is scheduled for wide release on July 8, 2022.
- Here are the 2021 NAACP Image Awards Nominees - OkayAfrica ›
- 'Chewing Gum' Star, Susan Wokoma Named One of BAFTA's ... ›
- 9 Things We Learned From 'Chewing Gum's' Season 2 Trailer ... ›
- Watch the Trailer for Upcoming Nigerian-American Fraternity Drama ... ›
- 7 of Our Favorite Moments From 'Chewing Gum' To Celebrate Its ... ›
- Michaela Coel Will Be the Keynote Speaker At the Prestigious ... ›
- 'Been So Long' Starring Michaela Coel & Arinzé Kene Is Coming to ... ›
- Genevieve Nnaji's 'Lionheart' and 'Black Earth Rising' Starring ... ›
- "I Salute It," Michaela Coel Pens Essay Praising Adele For Her ... ›
- Interview: How Michaela Coel's 'I May Destroy You' Makes Space for ... ›