Stream Black Motion's new single 'Xxikiwawa'.
South African house music duo Black Motion have finally released their single "Xxikiwawa". Featuring DJ Fortee, Lady Du, Pholoso and DJ Khosto, the song is the duo's first single since the release of their 2020 album The Healers: Last Chapter.
As usual, Lady Du's kwaito-style raps and chants take centre stage as she rhymes about hustling and trusting in the elders to answer our prayers. She ends her verse with a Brenda Fassie interpolation: "Indaba i-straight ayidingi i-ruler."
In trademark Black Motion fashion, the song is built on big drums and prominent percussion panned to give way for vocals but still managing to dominate.
The influence of amapiano is present in the song, though not so overt—their choice of kick and pads and the recurring trumpet stabs point to the yanos just like the inclusion of Lady Du.
"Xxiki Wawa" is the first single released by the duo in partnership with Universal Music South Africa after working with Sony Music Entertainment Africa on The Healers: The Last Chapter and their previous releases.
Follow Black Motion on Twitter and Instagram
- The 16 Best South African Songs of the Month (September ... ›
- Listen to Simmy's New Album 'Tugela Fairy (Made of Stars ... ›
- Listen to Sauti Sol's New Album 'Midnight Train' - OkayAfrica ›
- Tracka de Day: Oskido Presents Black Motion ft. Jah Rich "Banane ... ›
- Watch the Music Video for Dream Collaboration by Prince Kaybee ... ›
- Listen to Bucie's New Album 'Rebirth' Featuring Mobi Dixon, Kwesta ... ›
- Film: Documentary On Jo'Burg House Music - OkayAfrica ›
- Interview: Prince Kaybee Breaks Down 'The 4th Republic' - OkayAfrica ›
- Black Motion “Mshubo” (featuring Ihhashi Elimhlophe) - OkayAfrica ›
- Kasi Kassette: Soshanguve's Elite Production Duo Black Motion ... ›
- Interview: Lady Du, Amapiano’s Sultry-Voiced Superstar, Is Smashing The Glass Ceiling - OkayAfrica ›