NEWS

Today in Africa — August 21, 2026: U.S. Opens Beef Import Window for African Exporters, Botswana Foils Russian Military Recruitment

OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On Aug. 21, coverage includes: Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa eyeing a potential opening in the U.S. beef market; Botswana rescuing citizens lured by deceptive job schemes tied to Russia's war in Ukraine; and more.

A worker in blue stands among cattle during a vaccination drive in Katlehong, South Africa.
Beef exporters in Namibia, Botswana and South Africa could benefit from U.S. President Donald Trump’s 90-day window allowing up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef into the U.S. without the usual out-of-quota tariff.

Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening across the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.

Trump Opens Door for Tariff-Free Beef Imports, Possible Opening for African Exporters

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced a 90-day window allowing up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef into the U.S. without the usual out-of-quota tariff, aiming to ease high beef prices while giving the domestic cattle herd time to recover. Trump says the imported beef will sell at 25% below current market prices but hasn't named which countries will supply it, leaving the door open — though not guaranteed — for African exporters like Namibia, Botswana, and South Africa. The White House hasn't yet detailed the rules for which countries will qualify or how the volume will be divided.

What's at Stake for Africa

  • Namibia is the only African country with simultaneous beef export access to the U.S., China, Norway, and the European Union, earning more than N$2.1 billion (about $130 million) in foreign exchange in 2025, according to its agriculture minister.

  • Botswana has an export-oriented cattle industry with ambitions to grow its international market access.

  • South Africa is one of Africa's largest beef producers, though its U.S. market access is shaped by existing trade and tariff rules.

  • Earlier in 2026, Trump raised Argentina's tariff-free lean beef trimmings quota by 80,000 metric tons annually, a smaller measure than this latest 300,000-ton window.

Botswana Intercepts Eight Citizens Headed for Recruitment Into Russian Military

Botswana has stopped eight citizens from being recruited into the Russian military, intercepting them at airports in Botswana, South Africa, and Ethiopia before they could be deployed to the front lines in Ukraine, International Relations Minister Phenyo Butale told parliament. Butale said the recruits had been lured with promises of jobs, training, or security work abroad, only discovering the true nature of the arrangement once they arrived; Botswana has identified about 22 citizens targeted by similar schemes so far. Fighting for a foreign military is a criminal offense under Botswana's laws, adding legal risk on top of the danger recruits face once sent to the front lines.

A Continent-Wide Problem

  • Ghana says at least 62 of its citizens have died fighting for Russia, up from 55 in February, with another 15 missing; Accra says Moscow has agreed to end the "illegal recruitment" of Ghanaians.

  • Citizens and Russian nationals have faced arrest and charges in Kenya, Zimbabwe, and South Africa over recruitment activities tied to Russia's war effort.

  • An INPACT investigation found at least 1,417 Africans from countries including Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, and South Africa were recruited to fight for Russia between 2023 and 2025, with at least 316 killed in combat.

  • Kenya and South Africa have also worked to repatriate citizens who say they were deceived into signing military contracts with Russia.

Five Arrested After South Africa Uncovers Multi-Million Dollar Meth Lab

South African police arrested two Mexicans, two Zimbabweans, and a Malawian after raiding a crystal methamphetamine lab on a farm near Musina, Limpopo province, following a two-month investigation. Officers seized drugs, equipment, and cash worth around 600 million rand ($37 million), describing the operation as "sophisticated" and "industrial-scale." The suspects are set to appear in court on Monday on charges related to manufacturing and possessing illicit drugs.

A Growing Trend Across the Continent

  • This is at least the fourth major meth lab bust involving Mexican nationals uncovered on South African farms since 2024, following seizures worth $6 million, $20 million, and $108 million.

  • South Africa is one of the world's largest crystal meth consumer markets, and the United Nations says its "porous borders" make it an ideal transit point for illicit drugs.

  • Nigeria dismantled a similar Nigerian-Mexican meth production operation in May, found in a forested area of the country.

  • U.S.-Africa Command officials say 14 Mexican-operated labs have been raided across Africa since 2023, in Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, and South Africa, suggesting Mexican cartels are increasingly using the continent for production, not just trafficking.

In Brief: More Stories Today

DR Congo's Ebola Death Toll Passes 2,500 as Outbreak Spreads Across Area Bigger Than France

More than 2,500 people have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Ebola outbreak, which is now spreading exponentially across an area larger than France, UN Ebola coordinator Julien Harneis said today, Friday, August 21. He warned that existing funding will run out within weeks, and that 160 health care workers have contracted Ebola, with 43 dying, while others face attacks from frightened, angry residents.

Nearly 1.9 Million Children in Somalia Projected to Face Malnutrition This Year

UNICEF says nearly 1.9 million children in Somalia are expected to be malnourished this year, with severe acute malnutrition admissions up 32%, as 205 health and nutrition facilities have already closed due to aid cuts. Spokesperson James Elder warned that up to 618 facilities nationwide could shut down, forcing mothers seeking treatment to make longer, riskier journeys.

Djibouti's Football Federation Accused of Misusing FIFA Funds

Djibouti's Football Federation, which receives more than $1 million a year from FIFA and CAF, is facing corruption allegations after a government audit accused it of favoritism and inadequate bidding on a new headquarters project. A federation committee member resigned this month citing concerns over how resources are managed, though federation head Souleiman Hassan Waberi says FIFA has cleared the organization of wrongdoing.

Cameroon's Paul Biya Returns Home After Record 10-Week Absence

Cameroon's 93-year-old President Paul Biya returned to Yaoundé yesterday, Thursday, August 20, after more than 10 weeks abroad in Europe, his longest recorded absence since taking power over four decades ago. His extended absence had fueled speculation about his health, especially since Biya hasn't appointed a vice president despite the role's reintroduction last April, leaving succession plans unclear.

Zambian Police Summon Opposition Leader Mundubile for Questioning

Zambian police have summoned opposition leader Brian Mundubile, who has gone into hiding, for questioning over alleged threats to national security following the country's disputed August 13 election. President Hakainde Hichilema won with 60% of the vote, but independent observers found signs his count may have been inflated, though they said he still would have won.

South Africa Drops Fraud Charges Against Crime Intelligence Chief

South African prosecutors have withdrawn fraud and corruption charges against crime intelligence chief Lt. Gen. Dumisani Khumalo and six other officers, tied to the 2025 appointment of a civilian to a senior intelligence post. The case collapsed after testimony at the Madlanga Commission, a judicial inquiry into police corruption, showed the appointee was highly qualified.

Nigerian Parents Demand Government Rescue Children Abducted Nearly 100 Days Ago

Parents of children kidnapped from a Borno state classroom on May 15 protested yesterday, Thursday, August 20, in Uba town, demanding the federal government secure their release nearly 100 days later. Around 45 children remain missing from the abduction near Sambisa Forest, a longtime militant stronghold, while a separate attack in June left 36 more students and a teacher still captive.

Johannesburg Pays Off $328 Million Debt to Power Utility Eskom

South Africa’s largest city, Johannesburg, has fully settled its overdue 5.25 billion rand ($328 million) debt to state utility Eskom, resolving a billing dispute that threatened to throttle the city's electricity supply. The settlement comes ahead of November 4 municipal elections, where the city is expected to be a fiercely contested battleground.

Child Stunting Persists in Benin Despite Efforts to Curb It

More than 30% of children under five in Benin suffer from stunted growth due to malnutrition, according to the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition, with the problem worse in the country's drier north. Aid workers say misconceptions about foods like eggs and milk, along with poverty and busy farming schedules, keep many families from improving children's diets despite government and nonprofit efforts.

Ethiopia Cancels Ashenda Festival in Tigray Over Fears of Drone Attacks

Organizers canceled the main stadium gathering for Ethiopia's Ashenda festival in Mekelle, Tigray, after a series of drone strikes raised fears the event could be targeted. A strike yesterday, Thursday, August 20, injured 13 civilians in Mekelle, part of a string of recent attacks that have fueled concern the region's 2022 peace deal could collapse.

Morocco's King Grants Pardons to 667 People on Youth Day

Morocco's King Mohammed VI pardoned 667 people to mark Youth Day, including 526 currently in prison who received sentence reductions or full pardons, and 141 others who benefited from fine waivers or reduced sentences. Youth Day, observed on the king's birthday, has a history tied to major youth-led movements in Morocco, from the 2011 pro-democracy protests to last year's "Jil Zid" digital activism.