NEWS
Today in Africa — Feb 16, 2026: Cyclone Gezani Kills Dozens Across Madagascar & Mozambique, Dashcam Murder of E-Hailing Driver Sparks Outrage in South Africa
OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On Feb 16, coverage includes: the rising death toll from Cyclone Gezani as it devastates Madagascar and Mozambique, growing national outrage in South Africa after dashcam footage showed the killing of a young e-hailing driver, and more.
Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening on the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.
Cyclone Gezani Death Toll Rises to 59 as Storm Batters Madagascar and Mozambique
At least 59 people have died after Cyclone Gezani tore through Madagascar last week, authorities say, marking the second deadly storm to hit the Indian Ocean island this year. The cyclone injured more than 800 people, displaced over 16,000, and affected more than 423,000 others, according to Madagascar’s disaster agency. Gezani struck just 10 days after Cyclone Fytia, which killed 14 people. With winds peaking near 185 km/h and stronger gusts ripping roofs from homes, the storm devastated large parts of the country, including the port city of Toamasina, where President Michael Randrianirina says about 75 percent of the city was destroyed. The government has declared a national emergency and estimates damage at $142 million.
The storm also slammed into southern Mozambique, killing at least four people in Inhambane province after bringing winds of up to 215 km/h, knocking down trees and power lines, and leaving more than 13,000 people without electricity. Water supplies were cut in several districts of Inhambane city, home to about 100,000 people. Mozambique is still recovering from recent floods that affected more than 700,000 people nationwide. Gezani has since curved back over the Mozambique Channel and is expected to loop toward southwestern Madagascar again, prompting red alerts in parts of the south as authorities brace for more damaging winds.
Dashcam Killing of E-Hailing Driver Sparks National Outrage in South Africa
The murder case of an e-hailing driver has gripped South African social media, with dashcam footage of the attack spreading rapidly and prompting widespread outrage. Three suspects have been charged with murder and robbery after the killing of Isaac Satlat, 22, during an alleged robbery caught on video. The footage shows a violent struggle inside the car before one passenger appears to strangle Satlat until he goes limp. The suspects were arrested over the weekend, appeared in court in Pretoria today, Monday, February 16, and have abandoned their bail applications. A fourth suspect later handed himself over to the police and is expected to appear in court tomorrow, Tuesday, February 17. Prosecutors say the group ordered the ride through Bolt using an unregistered number, forced Satlat to stop, killed him, and stole his phone and vehicle, which was later recovered.
As the video circulated online, the case dominated conversations across the country, with drivers, politicians, and ordinary South Africans demanding accountability and better protection for e-hailing workers. Satlat, a Nigerian national, was 22 years old; his family said the attack was not linked to xenophobia. E-hailing driver groups say attacks like this are becoming more common and have renewed calls for passenger verification, stronger safety measures, and compensation for families of drivers killed on the job. Protesters gathered outside the courthouse this week as the case was postponed, while Satlat’s family said they are struggling to cope with the loss as public anger continues to build.
Nigerian Troops Repel Coordinated Militant Attacks on Bases in Borno
Nigerian troops have repelled near-simultaneous attacks by Islamist militants on two military bases in Borno state, the army says, in some of the fiercest clashes reported in the northeast this year. The weekend assaults targeted Pulka, near the Cameroon border, and Mandaragirau in southern Borno, the epicenter of Nigeria’s 17-year insurgency led by Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province. In Mandaragirau, ISWAP fighters attacked using gun trucks and motorcycles, but soldiers who had anticipated the strike met them with heavy fire and prevented a breach, the military said.
Some soldiers and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force were killed in Mandaragirau, with several wounded airlifted for treatment, according to the army. In Pulka, militants briefly breached the perimeter late on Saturday, damaging accommodation and equipment before troops held their ground and pushed them back with reinforcements. The military said no troops were harmed in that assault and reported heavy insurgent losses, including the alleged death of senior commander Abou Aisha. Follow-up operations found blood trails, shallow graves, and abandoned equipment, the army added, as fighting continues across Borno state.
At Least 20 Killed in Burkina Faso Attack, Including Ghanaian Traders
At least 20 people were killed on Saturday in the northern town of Titao in Burkina Faso during attacks claimed by JNIM, an Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda, according to local and Ghanaian officials. Ghana’s interior minister says seven of the victims were Ghanaians, tomato traders traveling on a supply truck that was set on fire, leaving them burned beyond recognition. Road access to the area remains blocked, complicating evacuation and identification efforts, as militants also targeted a military base, phone infrastructure, and shops. The Burkinabè army has not released an official death toll but said its forces repelled the attacks and killed several militants. The killings come amid a surge in jihadist violence in northern and eastern Burkina Faso, raising renewed concerns over the safety of cross-border traders from Ghana operating in the region.
Nigeria Warns Citizens Over Illegal Recruitment Into Foreign Wars
Nigeria’s foreign ministry has issued an urgent warning about the growing illegal recruitment of Nigerians to fight in foreign conflicts, after Ukrainian officials reported finding the bodies of two Nigerians killed in combat last year. While Nigeria has not confirmed the deaths, officials say investigations show some citizens were misled or coerced into signing foreign military contracts after being promised well-paid jobs, security work, education, or migration opportunities. Authorities say some victims were forced to sign contracts in languages they did not understand and had their passports seized on arrival, with intermediaries arranging travel on non-military visas. Nigeria has directed its diplomatic missions to step up consular support and public advisories, as Kenya has issued a similar warning. Ukrainian intelligence estimates more than 1,400 Africans from 36 countries have been recruited to fight for Russia, prompting several African governments to intervene, including South Africa, which says Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged help in returning South Africans who joined Russian forces in Ukraine.
Morocco Begins Return of Flooded Towns as Waters Recede
Moroccan authorities have started organizing the gradual return of residents to Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit areas in northwestern Morocco as weather conditions improve. Since early February, around 188,000 people have been evacuated after overflowing rivers flooded more than 110,000 hectares of land. Most residents of Ksar El Kebir are now allowed to go home, except in a few neighborhoods still deemed unsafe, while free train and bus transport are being offered to help people return. The government has declared the hardest-hit areas disaster zones and plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) on repairs and support. Officials say unusually heavy rainfall — 35% above long-term averages — forced dams to release excess water, ending a seven-year drought but triggering widespread flooding.
Strike Disrupts Flights at Nairobi’s Main Airport
Flights were delayed today, Monday, February 16, at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, one of Africa’s busiest air hubs, after aviation union workers went on strike over unresolved labor disputes. The walkout follows a seven-day strike notice linked to grievances that include the failure to finalize a collective bargaining agreement with the civil aviation authority. Airport operator Kenya Airports Authority confirmed disruptions, while union leader Moss Ndiema says the strike was proceeding because no court order had been served to stop it. Kenya Airways and Precision Air say air traffic control delays were affecting both departures and arrivals in Kenya.
Dozens Killed in Dawn Attacks Across Villages in Northwestern Nigeria
Gunmen riding motorcycles killed at least 29 people on Saturday in coordinated dawn raids on three villages in Niger State, setting homes on fire and abducting an unknown number of residents, local officials say. The attackers struck Tunga-Makeri first, then moved on to Konkoso and Pissa, near the site of a similar massacre earlier this month that left more than 100 people dead. Authorities warned the toll could rise as many residents fled into nearby bush areas, making it hard to account for the missing. Security reports say the assailants arrived on dozens of motorcycles, part of a pattern of increasingly deadly bandit attacks across northwestern Nigeria. Officials have imposed a partial curfew, restricted motorcycle movement at night, and deployed security forces, as fear spreads among communities already reeling from repeated raids and mass kidnappings.
AU Declares Slavery and Colonialism Crimes Against Africans, Sets New Day of Remembrance
Leaders of the African Union, meeting at a two-day summit in Addis Ababa, adopted a resolution describing slavery, deportation, and colonialism as genocide and crimes against the people of Africa. AU chair Mahmoud Ali Youssouf says the move formally recognizes colonization as a crime against humanity and affirmed the bloc’s solidarity with Palestine, calling for an end to what he described as the extermination of the Palestinian people. Member states also agreed to designate November 30 as the African Day of Tribute to African Martyrs and Victims of the Transatlantic Slave Trade, Colonization, and Apartheid. They say they will push for international recognition of the resolution.
Zambia Bans South African Livestock Imports as Foot-and-Mouth Outbreak Spreads
Zambia has suspended all imports of South African livestock and related products with immediate effect, citing a fast-spreading foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in South Africa that has now reached all nine provinces. The Zambian Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock says the ban revokes all existing permits and covers live animals, animal feed, skins, hides, trophies, and cloven-hoofed products such as dairy, while also halting the transit of live animals through Zambia. The move follows South African President Cyril Ramaphosa declaring the outbreak a national disaster and launching quarantine measures and a large vaccination drive, as the crisis continues to batter the beef industry and disrupt regional trade.