Zamrock: The Best 1970s Zambian Psychedelic Rock Tracks
We compile the best Zamrock, Zambian psychedelic rock music tracks from the 1970s.
Zamrock was molded in 1970s Zambia out of a dual influence of Jimi Hendrix's acid guitar and James Brown's funk. In the past few years, a number of zamrock vinyls have been reissued by boutique labels — most notably Now Again Records/Stone Throw's reprinting of Amanaz and WITCH's overlooked classics. More recently, zamrock has been having another revival through a piece in Chimurenga Chronic, Oroma Elewa's mix, a Madlib event and a Chris Smithstory and radio interview. Below, we compiled a batch of highlights from this fuzzed-out, psychedelic Zambian scene.
Rikki Ililonga & Musi-O-Tunya "Dark Sunrise"
WITCH "Strange Dream"
The Peace "Black Power"
Ngozi Family "Nizaka Panga Ngozi"
Chrissy Zebby Tembo "Trouble Maker"
Amanaz "Khala My Friend"
From Your Site Articles
- Watch a New Mini-Documentary On The Story of Zamrock - OkayAfrica ›
- Interview: Get to Know Rising Zambian Artist Jay Trigga - OkayAfrica ›
- The Story of Zamrock: Zambia's 1970s Fuzz Rock Sound - OkayAfrica ›
- There's a New Zamrock Anthology On the Way - Okayplayer ›
- Interview: Zamrock Legends WITCH Are Back With a Force - Okayplayer ›