This Couple is Creating a New Line of Frozen West African Meals
Chicago-based couple Perteet and Fred Spencer have signed a deal with Whole Foods to produce frozen traditional West African meals.
Speaking about the major deal with BLACK ENTERPRISE, Perteet says the following:
"Our home has always been a gathering point for friends and family because we love the joy that is born out of those special moments together. None of these moments happen without a great meal. As we thought about building a business together, nothing inspired us more than using our strong industry experiences to create these moments for others by sharing some of our family's favorite recipes that were under-represented in mainstream grocery stores."
The new line of frozen meals is set to be made available in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and in the Chicago-based grocery store, Green Grocer. While the recipes to be included in the new line have not as yet been revealed, AYO Food products including Jollof rice, egusi soup and cassava leaf soup may just be a part of it.
OkayAfrica's Kiratiana Freelon writes, "When it comes to African restaurants, Chicago is no Paris or London, where fancy eateries and humble spots coexist." Freelon goes on to add that, "Chicago's African restaurants are all still family-run businesses that to tend cater to Africans seeking an affordable taste of home." Revisit our previous Diaspora Eats series here.
ICYMI: Perteet and Fred Spencer, the couple bringing authentic frozen West African cuisine to grocers in U.S. >… https://t.co/JTjuR2YWbq— Face2face Africa (@Face2face Africa)1597212000.0
- What Is Fufu? A Quick Guide to Africa's Staple Food - OkayAfrica ›
- 8 African Restaurants You Need to Visit in São Paulo - OkayAfrica ›
- Diaspora Eats: 9 of the Best African Restaurants In Washington D.C. ... ›
- Diaspora Eats: 8 of the Best African Restaurants in Lisbon - OkayAfrica ›
- Diaspora Eats: 11 of the Best African Restaurants in Paris - OkayAfrica ›
- 11 African Food Instagrams That'll Make You Cook Like Mom ... ›
- 9 African Restaurants You Need To Try In Atlanta - OkayAfrica ›
- Here Are 50 of the Best African Foods From Across the Continent ... ›