Cynthia Erivo's Performance at the 2020 Oscars Was a Hit
WATCH: The 'Harriet' star performed the Oscar-nominated song 'Stand Up' in front of a visibly moved audience.
The singer and actress, who was also nominated in the Best Actress category got her performance as Harriet Tubman, took over the stage dressed in a dramatic gold number and delivered a grand performance that highlighted her powerhouse vocals.
She was later joined on stage by a large choir, who further elevated the emotional performance, Those in attendance appeared visibly moved by the performance. Those watching at home also took to social media to praise the star's talent and voice.
Erivo who has previously won a Tony, Emmy and Grammy could have become the youngest EGOT winner ever last night. She was the only nominee of color in the acting categories, which prompted folks to once again speak out against the Academy's well-documented lack of inclusion.
Though she didn't pick up any awards, her performance was a clear winner and arguably the best of the night.
Next, the actress is set to play soul icon Aretha Franklin in the upcoming scripted series "Genius Aretha," from National Geographic.
Check out her full performance at last night's show down below.
- Watch Cynthia Erivo as Harriet Tubman In the Moving New Trailer ... ›
- Cynthia Erivo Scores Two Nominations for 2020 Oscars - OkayAfrica ›
- Cynthia Erivo Responds to Stephen King Diversity Tweets - OkayAfrica ›
- Cynthia Erivo Earns Golden Globe Nomination for 'Harriet' - OkayAfrica ›
- Cynthia Erivo Cancels Her Performance at BAFTAs - OkayAfrica ›