Photo courtesy of Film Movement.
'Rafiki,' Trevor Noah's 'The Daily Show,' & More, Earn 2020 GLAAD Award Nominations
The GLAAD awards recognize "fair, accurate and inclusive representations" of the LGBTQ community in media.
The nominations for the annual GLAAD Media Awards, which "recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community and the issues that affect their lives," have just been announced, and several of our favorite shows this year have earned nominations.
Wanuri Kahiu's groundbreaking film Rafiki earned a nomination in the "Outstanding Film Limited Release" category. The acclaimed lesbian love story was the first Kenyan film to screen at Cannes. We caught up with the director to discuss the film back in May of last year.
Moments With: Wanuri Kahiuyoutu.be
Also nominated is Trevor Noah for an episode of The Daily Show entitled "Jacob Tobia - Promoting a 'Gender-Chill' Exploration of Identity with 'Sissy," in which he interviews LGBT rights activist, producer and writer Jacob Tobia. You can check out the interview below, in which the two discuss what it means to openly explore gender identity.
Jacob Tobia - Promoting a “Gender-Chill" Exploration of Identity with “Sissy" | The Daily Showwww.youtube.com
Other notable nods include Ava Duvernay's When They See Us the impactful limited series, chronicling the lives of the Exonerated Five, as well as HBO's Watchmen.
Netflix's coming-of-age comedy Sex Education earned a nomination for "Outstanding Comedy Series." The show features a standout storyline centering on Rwandawn-Scottish actor Ncuti Gatwa'scharacter Eric, who unexpectedly earns the support of his Nigerian father after coming out.
You can check out the full list of 2020 nominations via GLAAD's website.
From Your Site Articles
- 'The Daily Show' with Trevor Noah ›
- Wanuri Kahiu's 'RAFIKI' Is the First Kenyan Feature Film To Premiere ... ›
- Wanuri Kahiu Speaks on the Overwhelming Response to 'RAFIKI' at ... ›
- Video: Wanuri Kahiu On How 'Rafiki' Took the World by Storm Since ... ›
- RAFIKI ›
- Kenya's Elsa Majimbo Bags 2020 E! People’s Choice Award - OkayAfrica ›
- Rwandan Actor Ncuti Gatwa Is Our New 'Doctor Who' - OkayAfrica ›
- Kenya Says Its Banning LGBTQ+ Content - OkayAfrica ›
- Kenya Upholds Ban on Groundbreaking Lesbian Romance Film 'Rafiki' - OkayAfrica ›
Related Articles Around the Web