Popular
Still from YouTube.

Lady Donli Shares the Music Video for Her Infectious Single 'Cash'

The Nigerian artist declares she's #AddictedToCash on an exciting new single, produced by The Cavemen.

Update 4/8/19:

Lady Donli shares the music video for her latest single "Cash," directed by Kewa Oni and Seun Opabisi. It sees the singer performing before a small, intimate audience in a disco ball-filled room. She's cool and energetic as she sings about her love for cash, backed by the talented production crew The Cavemen. And, since it's only right, the video ends with the singer being sprayed with wads of dollar bills.

Watch the music video for 'Cash" below.

Lady Donli - Cash (Official Music Video) youtu.be


Continue for the original post:

Lady Donli is back with her first single of the year, and it doesn't disappoint. The Nigerian artist has shared the infectious track "Cash," from her forthcoming album Enjoy Your Life.

The fun, mid-tempo track, produced by Benjamin James and Kingsley 'Knote' Okorie of the Nigerian live band The Cavemen as well as the artist herself, is all about the pursuit of money. "I'm addicted to cash" she sings several times in her honeyed voice atop the song's catchy production.

The song gives us major warm weather vibes, brought together by the singer's alt-jazz vocals and The Cavemen's airy and string-filled production.

"Fueled by the hustle of life, rhythmic flows of highlife and the addiction to chasing the key to the beauties of the world, this song speaks our truth; we're all addicted to cash, making it, spending it, losing it," said the artists of the song's theme.

Last year, the artist spoke with OkayAfrica about some of the struggles of making it as a Nigerian artist. She shared the single "Games" last June, and we've been looking forward to more from the singer since. It looks like we won't have to wait too much longer though, as her upcoming album Enjoy Your Life is set to drop this summer.

Listen to "Cash" below.


Popular
Photo by KOLA SULAIMON/AFP via Getty Image

#EndSARS: 1 Year Later And It's Business As Usual For The Nigerian Government

Thousands filled the streets of Nigeria to remember those slain in The #LekkiTollGateMassacre...while the government insists it didn't happen.

This week marks 1 year since Nigerians began protests against police brutality and demanded an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS). The #EndSARS protests took the world by storm as we witnessed Nigerian forces abuse, harass and murder those fighting for a free nation. Reports of illegal detention, profiling, extortion, and extrajudicial killings followed the special task force's existence, forcing the government to demolish the unit on October 11th, 2020. However, protestors remained angered and desperate to be heard. It wasn't until October 20th, when soldiers opened fire on demonstrators at Lekki tollgate in the country's capital, Lagos, that the protests came to a fatal end. More than 56 deaths from across the country were reported, while hundreds more were traumatized as the Nigerian government continued to rule by force. The incident sparked global outrage as the Nigerian army refused to acknowledge or admit to firing shots at unarmed protesters in the dead of night.

It's a year later, and nothing has changed.

Young Nigerians claim to still face unnecessary and violent interactions with the police and none of the demands towards systemic changes have been met. Fisayo Soyombo the founder of the Foundation for Investigative Journalism, told Al Jazeera, "Yes, there has not been any reform. Police brutality exists till today," while maintaining that his organization has reported "scores" of cases of police brutality over this past year.

During October 2020's protests, Nigerian authorities turned a blind eye and insisted that the youth-led movement was anti-government and intended to overthrow the administration of current President Muhammadu Buhari. During a press conference on Wednesday, in an attempt to discredit the protests, Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed hailed the Nigerian army and police forces for the role they played in the #EndSARS protests, going as far as to say that the Lekki Toll Massacre was a "phantom massacre with no bodies." These brazen claims came while protesters continued to gather in several major cities across the country. The minister even went on to shame CNN, Nigerian favorite DJ Switch as well as Amnesty International, for reporting deaths at Lekki. Mohammed pushed even further by saying, "The six soldiers and 37 policemen who died during the EndSARS protests are human beings with families, even though the human rights organizations and CNN simply ignored their deaths, choosing instead to trumpet a phantom massacre."

With the reports of abuse still coming out of the West African nation, an end to the struggle is not in sight. During Wednesday's protest, a journalist for the Daily Post was detained by Nigerian forces while covering the demonstrations.

According to the BBC, additional police units have been set up in the place of SARS, though some resurfacing SARS officers and allies claim to still be around.

Young Nigerians relied heavily on social media during the protests and returned this year to voice their opinions around the first anniversary of an experience that few will be lucky enough to forget.



get okayafrica in your inbox

popular.

How CKay's 'Love Nwantiti' Became the World's Song

Nigerian singer and producer CKay talks to OkayAfrica about the rise of his international chart-topping single "Love Nwantiti," his genre-defying sound and the reasons behind this era of afrobeats dominance.