The New 'Assurance' Documentary Follows the Experiences of Female DJs in Nigeria
"Assurance was conceived out of my desire to find new perspectives in the music industry's gender imbalance debate," says DJ Juba.
Juba is a British-Nigerian DJ based in Berlin. She's also the co-founder of Boko! Boko!, a collective that works towards increased female representation in DJ booths and show lineups.
Juba is now sharing the 35-minute long documentary Assurance, which takes an in-depth look at the experiences of three Lagos-based DJs: Sensei Lo, DJ Yin and DJ Ayizan.
Through raw and personal footage, the documentary paints a full picture of the obstacles each DJ faces as they navigate Nigeria's societal expectations and the gender issues within the Lagos music scene.
"Assurance was conceived out of my desire to find new perspectives in the music industry's gender imbalance debate," Juba tells OkayAfrica. "Since I started DJing in 2016, I've only been able to look at the topic through the European lens and the discourse in general is overwhelmingly dominated by voices from the Global North."
"Going to Lagos and immersing myself in conversation with the three DJs exposed me to a different set of narratives in a totally new, often ignored context. Stories like theirs are necessary for enriching and broadening the conversation around women in music and prove the importance of wider representation when discussing issues that are relevant to people all over the world."
Watch Assurance below.
- Odunsi Is the Producer Transforming Nigerian Music - OkayAfrica ›
- Interview: TG Omori Is Breathing New Life Into Nigerian Music Videos ›
- nigerian music ›
- The Struggle Of Making It In Nigerian Music As A New Artist ... ›
- Davido's 'Fall' Is Now the Most Viewed Nigerian Music Video on ... ›
- The Politics of the Nigerian Music Industry - OkayAfrica ›
- The 20 Best Nigerian Songs of 2019 - OkayAfrica ›
- The 8 Best Nigerian Songs of the Month (August) - OkayAfrica ›