Rouge releases defiant new single 'Senzeni Na' featuring Amanda Black.
Rapper Rouge has released her collaboration with Amanda Black for "Senzeni Na". Rouge and Black pay homage to victims of gender-based violence in their rendering the South African song. Fans are loving the single and it is trending at number one on Twitter right now.
Earlier in the week Rouge wrote an open letter addressed to South African men asking them, "Senzeni na?" which means "What have we done?" in isiZulu.
Usually sung at protests, "Senzeni Na" is a well known struggle liberation song that passed over the threshold of Apartheid into South Africa's new democracy. "Senzeni Na" is a song of defiance against oppression, stemming from country wide inhumane treatment of Black people during apartheid.
Rouge and Black transpose the yearning for women to be treated more humanely in an effort to end gender-based violence in South Africa. "Senzeni Na" is released with recent news of the death of young Wits university student, Asithandile "Kwasa" Zozo Lugalo, allegedly at the hands of her boyfriend.
"Senzeni Na" is statement of women empowerment by conjoining a soul singer and rapper both of whom have faced trials and tribulations of a male dominated music industry.
Rouge and Black have not reinvigorated "Senzeni Na" but have also added the much lacking female voice to it. The somber song redefines what it means to be strong women and celebrates Black women's' partnerships as means of surviving economically.
A few years back Rouge collaborated with fellow fiery rapper Moozlie on "Mbongo Zaka", a song about women securing the bag. Earlier in the year she released mad visuals for "One by one" featuring AKA.Listen to "Senzeni Na" on Spotify and Apple Music.
- Rouge, Moozlie, A-Reece, J Molley & The Big Hash Will Be Part of ... ›
- Manu WorldStar Announces New EP 'Molimo' Featuring Sjava ... ›
- South African Rapper Rouge Delivers the Perfect Concept Album ... ›
- Watch a South African Street Dance Crew Get Down In Rouge's ... ›
- Watch Rouge's Flawless Feel Good Live Sessions Performance ... ›
- Watch BigStar Johnson and Rouge's Music Video for 'Two Cups ... ›
- AKA and Rouge Connect on New Pop Single 'One by One ... ›
- In The Lab: Shekhinah Is Working On A South African R&B Album ... ›
- Rouge Gathers The New Wave For a Bar Fest in ‘Popular Remix’ - OkayAfrica ›
- Rouge Enlists Sarkodie and Youssoupha in New Single ‘W.A.G’ - OkayAfrica ›