NEWS

Today in Africa — May 19, 2026: AFCON Qualifier Matchups Set, Togo Opens Its Borders to African Travelers

OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On May 19, coverage includes: Africa’s road to AFCON 2027 taking shape after national teams learned their qualifying opponents; Togo joining a small but growing group of countries allowing visa-free entry for all African passport holders; and more.

Independence monument in Lomé, Togo, beside a reflecting pool and flagpoles.
The Independence monument in Lome, Togo. The West African country has become the sixth on the continent to offer visa-free entry to African passport holders.

Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening on the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.

AFCON 2027 Qualifying Race Takes Shape as 48 Teams Learn Their Path

Graphic displaying Afcon 2027 qualifiers draw results by group with flags and team names.
48 football nations were drawn into 12 groups by CAF in Cairo, Egypt, today for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations to be held in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.

The road to the Africa Cup of Nations 2027 is officially underway after 48 national teams learned their qualifying opponents during today’s draw in Cairo. Co-hosts Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda are already guaranteed places at the finals but will still compete in qualifying, while teams across the continent begin a months-long battle for spots at the tournament set for June and July 2027.

What Else to Watch:

  • Qualifiers will be played across three international windows from September 2026 through March 2027.

  • Teams in groups containing hosts Kenya, Tanzania, or Uganda will have only one additional qualifying spot available.

  • The Central African Republic, Eritrea, Somalia, and South Sudan are chasing their first-ever AFCON appearances.

  • Home-and-away results, away points, and goal difference could play a major role in deciding qualification.

  • Recent tournaments have shown smaller football nations increasingly challenging traditional continental powers.

Togo Opens Borders to All African Passport Holders

Togo has become the sixth African country to offer visa-free entry to all holders of African passports, joining a growing push for easier movement across the continent. The policy, which took effect yesterday, Monday, May 18, allows citizens of African Union member states to enter Togo without a visa for stays of up to 30 days, as the country seeks to strengthen trade and tourism and its position as a regional gateway in West Africa.

What Else to Know:

  • Travelers must still complete an online pre-arrival declaration at least 24 hours before departure.

  • Immigration, health, and security screening procedures remain in place at land, air, and sea entry points.

  • Togo joins Rwanda, Ghana, Benin, The Gambia, and Seychelles in offering broad visa-free access for African travelers.

  • Officials say the move supports wider continental goals, including the African Continental Free Trade Area.

  • More than 60% of destinations in Africa now offer either visa-free or visa-on-arrival access, though continent-wide mobility remains uneven.

WHO Sends More Supplies as Ebola Testing Bottlenecks Slow Congo Response

The World Health Organization says another six tons of Ebola supplies are arriving in the Democratic Republic of Congo as health teams race to contain a growing outbreak that has spread into neighboring Uganda. With at least 500 suspected cases and 130 suspected deaths reported so far, officials say limited testing capacity and delayed detection are making it harder to understand the true scale of the Bundibugyo strain outbreak.

What Health Teams Are Facing:

  • WHO says only six tests per hour can currently be processed for the Bundibugyo strain.

  • Early testing in affected areas was slowed because local systems were designed for the more common Zaire strain of Ebola.

  • WHO has already sent 12 tons of supplies, including protective gear for frontline health workers and testing materials.

  • The United Nations’ humanitarian office says only 34% of its $1.4 billion funding appeal for Congo has been met this year.

  • Officials say surveillance, contact tracing, and investigation capacity remain weak in the affected region.

In Brief: More Stories Today

Nigerian Schoolchildren Abducted as Rescue Efforts Face Setbacks

At least 39 schoolchildren and seven teachers were abducted in Nigeria’s Oyo state after gunmen attacked multiple schools in the Ahoro Esinele community. Authorities say one teacher was killed in captivity, while security teams trying to rescue the victims were injured after encountering explosive devices planted by the kidnappers.

RSF Commander Accused of Executions Reportedly Returns to Sudan Battlefield

A Sudanese paramilitary commander accused of executing unarmed civilians during the takeover of al-Fashir has reportedly returned to active duty after being detained last year, according to multiple sources cited by Reuters. The Rapid Support Forces denied claims that Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, had been released, insisting he remains in custody awaiting trial.

Kenya Suspends Transport Strike After Deadly Protests

Kenya’s nationwide transport strike over rising fuel prices has been paused for one week after the government reached an interim agreement with transport operators. The protests left four people dead and around 30 injured, while commuters faced severe disruptions and sharply higher transport costs.

U.S. Introduces New Ebola-Related Travel Restrictions for Three African Countries

The United States has introduced additional travel restrictions and screening measures for people who have recently been in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan because of the Ebola outbreak. U.S. authorities say the measures, which include restrictions on some non-citizen travelers, are meant to reduce the risk of the virus entering the country.

MSF Accuses South Sudan Government of Blocking Aid Access

Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) says South Sudan’s government has obstructed humanitarian access to opposition-controlled areas and accused all sides in the conflict of using aid for political and military purposes. The group says violence and attacks on health facilities have left hundreds of thousands without access to care.

Libyan Prison Official Faces ICC War Crimes Hearings

A Libyan prison official known as “the angel of death” and also accused of overseeing torture and abuse at the Mitiga detention center, is appearing before the International Criminal Court. Prosecutors are seeking confirmation of 17 charges, including murder, rape, enslavement, and crimes against humanity, against 47-year-old Khaled (Mohamed Ali) Al Hishri.

Trump Administration Plans More Afrikaner Refugee Admissions

The Trump administration says it plans to admit up to 10,000 additional white South African refugees in the coming months, bringing the total possible admissions this fiscal year to 17,500. South Africa has rejected claims that Afrikaners face systematic persecution, saying there is no evidence that white citizens are being targeted because of race.