Angelique Kidjo Makes Her 'Maiden Venture' Into Electronic Music on Pablo Nouvelle's 'Milambi'
The song is the first single from Nouvelle's new EP 'Eliso.'
The track, which originally premiered in January via the archival music label Beating Heart, marks Kidjo's "maiden venture" into electronic music, as stated in a press release. The track is made up of "archival African field recordings,"from Hugh Tracey's collection. It also fuses booming electronic sound with elements of afrobeat. Kidjo delivers powerhouse vocals as usual.
The song was inspired by Nouvelle's recent trips to Eswatini and Mozambique and the accompanying video consists of footage from Tracey's archival collection, woven together to match the song's catchy rhythm.
Kidjo, who is fresh off her fourth Grammy win, also recently featured on the song "Shekere" with Nigerian artist Yemi Alade. It's exciting to see the artist experiment with even more unique sounds—something she's been known to do throughout her career and most recently with the release of her album Celia.
Piano Pieces and Atlas Internet Café last year. Listen to his latest EP Eliso below, and hear "Milambi" above.
- Angélique Kidjo Explores the Afrobeat Roots of Celia Cruz ... ›
- Angelique Kidjo Wins 'Best World Music Grammy, Dedicated Award ... ›
- Angelique Kidjo Joins Yemi Alade In the Vibrant Music Video for ... ›
- 9 Black Electronic Musicians You Should Be Listening To - OkayAfrica ›
- Angelique Kidjo Writes a Love Letter to 'Mother Nature' - OkayAfrica ›