Angelique Kidjo Joins Yemi Alade In the Vibrant Music Video for 'Shekere'
The song is a collaboration from Yemi Alade's latest album "Woman of Steel."
The song is named after the tambourine-like instrument played in various regions of the continent. Both Alade and Kidjo deliver feel-good lyrics in English and Yoruba over the song's string-filled production. The upbeat song also includes interpolations of Kidjo's 1996 classic "Wombo Lombo," as noted in Pulse Nigeria.
The music video is a colorful celebration of the continent that opens with a shot of Maasai warriors. The Ovie Etseyatse-directed song sees the artists highlighting various African cultures through dance and dress. Alade can be seen in various beaded looks and ankara prints, while Kidjo dons an eye-catching Zulu headdress.
Kidjo won her fourth Grammy last month, during which she gave an acceptance speech about the importance of supporting the new generation of artists emerging from the continent. "The new generation of artists coming from Africa are going to take you by storm and the time has come," said the artist.
Alade's previous video for "Remind You" featured star Beninese actor Djimoun Hounsou. She dropped Woman of Steel in August of last year, and hailed Kidjo as one of her biggest musical inspirations in an interview with OkayAfrica, also adding that "Shekere" had been two years in the making. "It's my favorite because I finally got to work with someone that inspired me while growing up and still inspires me, and is still achieving heights that I want to achieve as an African woman," said Alade.
Check out the music video for "Shakara" below.
- Yemi Alade Is the First African Female Artist To Get A Million ... ›
- Yemi Alade's Journey to Becoming a 'Woman of Steel' - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch Yemi Alade's New Music Video for 'Shake' - OkayAfrica ›
- Yemi Alade Enlists Djimon Hounsou for New Music Video 'Remind ... ›
- The 5 Songs That Shaped Angélique Kidjo - OkayAfrica ›
- Angelique Kidjo — OKAYAFRICA's 100 WOMEN ›
- Angélique Kidjo Explores the Afrobeat Roots of Celia Cruz ... ›
- Angelique Kidjo Wins 'Best World Music Grammy, Dedicated Award ... ›