NEWS

Today in Africa — August 20, 2026: Ex-Zambian Minister Killed in Post-Election Raid, Liberia Charges Former VP With Drug Trafficking

OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On Aug. 20, coverage includes: questions growing over the circumstances of Mutotwe Kafwaya's death following Zambia's disputed election; Liberia's crackdown on cocaine trafficking reaching the country's former deputy head of state; and more.

Jewel Cianeh Taylor sits before a blue backdrop at an economic forum in Poland.
Former Vice President of Liberia, Jewel Howard-Taylor, has been charged with drug trafficking, money laundering, and other offenses tied to a $317 million cocaine seizure last month.

Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening across the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.

Former Zambian Minister Killed in Election Raid, Authorities Confirm

Zambian police confirmed yesterday, Wednesday, August 20, that former minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was fatally shot during a security raid last Friday on a house linked to opposition leader Brian Mundubile, a day after the presidential election. Police say officers exchanged fire with "unknown individuals" during the operation, which led to 11 arrests and accusations that Mundubile's NRPUP party was involved in "insurgency" and "militia activity." Mundubile, who has since gone into hiding, says the allegations are  "total fabrications" and he had no information on Kafwaya's whereabouts after he was shot at his house.

Election Fallout Deepens

  • Kafwaya, 49, became a lawmaker in 2016 and served as a minister under former President Edgar Lungu before continuing as an opposition MP after Lungu lost the 2021 election to President Hakainde Hichilema.

  • Official results show that Hichilema won a second term with 60% of the vote to Mundubile's 38%, though Mundubile plans to challenge the results in court over alleged tampering.

  • The EU election observation mission says the results tabulation process "deteriorated significantly" after a six-hour counting pause and criticized weak verification between digital and paper records.

  • Zambia's Human Rights Commission has called for accountability over people whose whereabouts remain unknown following election-related arrests and security operations.

Liberia Charges Former VP Jewel Howard-Taylor With Drug Trafficking

Liberian authorities have charged former Vice President Jewel Howard-Taylor with drug trafficking, money laundering, and other offenses, tying her to a $317 million cocaine seizure last month. She was detained yesterday, Wednesday, August 20, before boarding a flight at Roberts International Airport, and her lawyer says he can't comment until she's formally charged in court. Howard-Taylor, who served as former President George Weah's deputy from 2018 to 2024, is the ex-wife of former President Charles Taylor, a convicted war criminal who ruled Liberia from 1997 to 2003.

A Widening Crackdown

  • Police have also charged three foreign nationals — two Croatians and a Ukrainian — in absentia, accusing them of belonging to the same trafficking network.

  • Howard-Taylor faces charges including unlicensed importation and sale of controlled drugs, illicit trafficking, and criminal solicitation and facilitation.

  • The charges follow two major drug seizures in June and July, including nearly four tons of cocaine bound for Europe, found in July, described as Liberia's biggest drug bust.

  • The investigation has expanded to senior figures within Liberia's security establishment, with officials vowing that "no office is too high" and "no political connection is too powerful" to escape scrutiny.

DR Congo to Receive 70,000 Doses of Ervebo Vaccine to Fight Ebola

The World Health Organization and partners announced today, Thursday, August 20, that the Democratic Republic of Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, a major step in tackling what officials call the fastest Ebola outbreak in history. Ervebo is licensed against the Ebola virus but not the Bundibugyo virus behind the current outbreak, though WHO says early data suggests it may offer some protection; 20,000 doses will go toward a Phase 3 trial testing its effect on Bundibugyo, while the remaining 50,000 will go to front-line and health workers. The outbreak has killed 2,476 people out of 5,208 confirmed cases and is spreading roughly three times faster than the 2014-2016 West Africa outbreak, the deadliest on record.

A Complicated Response

  • WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the vaccine allocation "an important example of global solidarity in action" and pledged continued support for surveillance, care, and vaccination efforts.

  • The case fatality rate stands at 47.5% overall but climbs as high as 70% in North Kivu province, where the response faces greater challenges.

  • The AFC/M23 rebel alliance, which controls parts of eastern DR Congo and has run its own separate Ebola response, is suspending shared taxis and passenger boats on certain routes for a month after two people from a government-held town tested positive in rebel-held territory.

  • The rebels, who declared their territory Ebola-free in late June, have used their pandemic response to showcase their governance in areas outside Kinshasa's control.

In Brief: More Stories Today

Nigeria Moves to Decriminalize Attempted Suicide

Nigeria's federal government plans to decriminalize attempted suicide, currently punishable by up to a year in prison, as part of an amendment to the National Mental Health Act. Health Minister Ali Pate said the country records about 300,000 suicide attempts and at least 7,000 deaths annually, and the reform aims to cut those numbers by 15% by 2030 by shifting the response from punishment to care.

Ecuador's Intelligence Chief and Wife Among 7 Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash

Ecuador's intelligence chief, Michele Sensi-Contugi, and his wife, fashion designer Stephany Hollihan, were among seven people killed when their helicopter crashed at Mount Ololokwe in Kenya's Samburu county yesterday, Wednesday, August 19. The other victims included several Americans, among them an NBCUniversal journalist and a Miami restaurateur.

At Least 40 Dead, Mostly Children, After Boat Capsizes in Nigeria's Sokoto State

At least 40 bodies, mostly children, have been recovered after an overloaded boat capsized near Gorau in Nigeria's Sokoto state, officials said today, Thursday, August 20, with a local lawmaker putting the death toll at 43 and 16 rescued. Residents said the boat was carrying farm workers hired to harvest rice, with estimates of those on board ranging from 57 to more than 70.

HRW: Russian Paramilitaries Killed 9 Civilians, Including 4 Children, in Mali

Human Rights Watch says Russian paramilitaries from Africa Corps, working alongside Malian soldiers, killed nine civilians — including four children — during a July 10 raid on the village of Bombori in central Mali. The fighters reportedly rounded up dozens of men and boys, beat and interrogated them, then shot six people who tried to flee and executed three others, one by beheading, according to HRW's interviews with witnesses and community members.

Rescue Hopes Fade at Central African Republic Mine Collapse as Death Toll Set to Rise

Hopes of finding survivors are fading two days after a gold mine collapse in Central African Republic's Zamboye village killed more than 100 people, with rescuers recovering more bodies each hour. Local workers say the rescue effort lacks the equipment needed for a disaster this size, and an investigation is underway to determine why the tunnels caved in and who may be criminally responsible.

DR Congo Prosecutors Seek 15 Years for Ex-Justice Minister Over $20 Million Fraud

Prosecutors in the Democratic Republic of Congo are seeking 15 years of hard labor for former Justice Minister Constant Mutamba, accusing him of orchestrating the fraudulent disbursement of about $20 million meant to compensate Congolese citizens harmed by Uganda's military interventions. Mutamba, already serving a three-year sentence for embezzlement, denies the charges; the Court of Cassation will rule on September 2.

Tunisian Opposition Group Plans Protest Amid Water, Power Shortages

A new opposition coalition called Nafas was set to protest in Tunis today, Thursday, August 20, tapping into growing anger over utility cuts, medicine shortages, and rising living costs under President Kais Saied. The protest comes amid a brutal heat wave that pushed electricity demand to record highs and forced rationing that also disrupted water pumping and bottled water supplies.

NIH Lifts 17-Month Ban on Funding South African Research

The U.S. National Institutes of Health has ended a 17-month funding freeze on South African research projects, reversing a policy triggered by a 2025 executive order halting U.S. aid to the country. The disruption had threatened major HIV and TB research programs, though South African scientists remain barred from certain NIH training programs, and new funding will still require review under U.S. rules.