Photo by Olukayode Jaiyeola/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
#EndSARS: These Videos of Protesters Singing Davido's 'FEM' Will Make Your Day
Following continued protests against police brutality in Nigeria through SARS, it seems Nigerian youth have adopted Davido's latest single 'FEM' as their anthem.
Protests in Nigeria continue as the youth call upon President Muhammadu Buhari and his government to bring an end to all forms of police brutality in the West African country. While the Nigerian government has reportedly disbanded the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) following the massive #EndSARS protests, its replacement of the unit with the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) has Nigerians skeptical. It appears SARS has simply "rebranded" (as it has many times before) and thus Nigerians have picked up the #EndSWAT call as part of efforts to acquire real change.
Amid the ongoing protests, which were sparked by the recent death of a civilian man at the hands of SARS, Nigerian youth have found numerous ways to keep their spirits going as each day of fierce protesting goes by. One of these ways has been adopting Nigerian superstar Davido's latest single single titled "Fem" and whose music video for the track dropped at the beginning of September this year. Numerous videos have emerged on social media showing protesting Nigerians dancing and singing along to the infectious and upbeat number. They are certainly going to make your day––they've made ours!
Davido himself, along with several other Nigerian artists including Wizkid, Tiwa Savage, Don Jazzy, Lady Donli and Burna Boy have all shown their support for the protests both on and offline. Davido even managed to secure a closed-door meeting with the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to which a number of Nigerians showed contention expressing that the artist should not speak on their behalf.
Take a look at some of the joyous videos below:
Listen to "FEM" on Apple Music:
Listen to "FEM" on Spotify:
From Your Site Articles
- Breaking Down Nigeria's #EndSARS Protests and How You Can Help ›
- Nigeria's EndSARS Protests in Photos - OkayAfrica ›
- #EndSARS: Nigerian Protests Against Police Brutality Strengthen ... ›
- Nigerian Activist Omoyele Sowore Remains In Custody Following ... ›
- Deep Dive: Protest Movements Across the Continent - OkayAfrica ›
- #EndSARS Is a Nigerian Social Media Movement Calling Out ... ›
- Nigerian Sports Stars Speaks Up in #EndSARS Amid Ongoing Protests - OkayAfrica ›
- The Year Is 2020 & the Future of Nigeria Is the Youth - OkayAfrica ›
- How Davido's 'FEM' Became the Unlikely #EndSARS Protest Anthem - OkayAfrica ›
- #EndSARS: Security Forces Open Fire on Protesting Nigerians - OkayAfrica ›
- The Nigerian Army Has Denied Opening Deadly Fire on #EndSARS Protesters - OkayAfrica ›
- Amnesty International Nigeria Confirms The Nigerian Army's Shooting of Peaceful #EndSARS Protestors - OkayAfrica ›
- How Technology Is Playing a Crucial Role in the #EndSARS Protests - OkayAfrica ›
- The African Union Condemns Violence Against #EndSARS - OkayAfrica ›
- AKA Calls Out African Union on Response to Violence Towards #EndSARS Protesters - OkayAfrica ›
- How You Can Help Nigeria's #EndSARS Protests ›
- #EndSARS: Martin Luther King III Appeals to Nigerian Government Amidst Ongoing Protests - OkayAfrica ›