Tiwa Savage Is the First Woman to Win 'Best African Act' At the MTV Europe Awards
"African women, this is for us," said the singer.
Tiwa Savage made history last night, when she took home the "Best African Act" award at the MTV Europe awards in Spain.
The Nigerian singer beat out performers like last year's winner Davido, South African star Shekhinah, Distruction Boyz, Fally Ipupa and more, becoming the first ever female artist to snag the award. Past winners include Wizkid, and Diamond Platinumz who took home the award in 2016 and 2015, respectively.
The singer took to Instagram to celebrate her monumental win, writing: "African Woman, this is for US
I've been through a lot but I've kept my head up and weathered the storm because I know some little girl somewhere is dreaming like I did."
Fans and supporters, including frequent collaborator Wizkid and fellow afrobeats singer Adekunle Gold, have also taken to social media to congratulate the singer on her win.
From Your Site Articles
- Watch 2Baba and Tiwa Savage Perform Each Other's Songs In This 'XSwitch Challenge' - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch Tiwa Savage Make Her US TV Debut On Jimmy Fallon - OkayAfrica ›
- Togo Makes Historic Appointment with First Ever Woman Prime Minister - OkayAfrica ›
- Master KG Scores MTV EMA Nomination for Best African Act - OkayAfrica ›
- Tiwa Savage Dedicates Visuals for 'Ole' Feat. Naira Marley to #EndSARS - OkayAfrica ›
- The 20 Essential Tiwa Savage Songs - OkayAfrica ›
- Master KG, Burna Boy, Busiswa, Tiwa Savage, Davido and More Make the 2021 Mtv Africa Music Award Nominees - OkayAfrica ›
- MTV Africa Music Awards Announces Top 20 'Listener's Choice' Finalists ›
- MTV Africa Music Awards Announces Top 20 'Listener's Choice' Finalists - OkayAfrica ›
- Watch Tiwa Savage & Brandy's New Video For 'Somebody's Son' - OkayAfrica ›
- Tiwa Savage Drops Two New Songs 'Owo Mi Da' & 'Attention' - Okayplayer ›