NEWS

Today in Africa — May 21, 2026: DR Congo’s World Cup Plans Shift, Protests in Ireland Over Congolese Man’s Death

OkayAfrica has scoured the Internet for today’s major news stories, so you don't have to. On May 21, coverage includes: the widening impact of the Ebola outbreak on travel and sports preparations; mounting demands for answers after the death of Yves Sakila sparked protests in Dublin; and more.

Large crowd of protesters gathered outside Leinster House in Dublin with banners and flags.
People taking part in a protest outside Leinster House, Dublin, over the death of Congolese man Yves Sakila following an incident with security guards at a Dublin department store.

Every day, OkayAfrica shares a roundup of news we’re following but haven’t published as full articles. These short updates cover what’s happening on the continent — in culture, politics, and beyond. For more on stories like these, be sure to check out our News page, with stories from across the regions.

DR Congo Moves World Cup Training Camp to Europe Amid Ebola Concerns

The Democratic Republic of Congo has canceled its planned pre-World Cup training camp in Kinshasa and moved preparations to Belgium as the country battles a growing Ebola outbreak in the east. Officials said the decision came as the outbreak expanded and U.S. entry restrictions linked to Ebola raised concerns ahead of the World Cup, where the Leopards will make their first appearance since 1974.

What Else to Know:

  • DR Congo’s friendly matches against Denmark and Chile will still go ahead in Europe before the tournament.

  • All of the team’s players are based outside DR Congo and are not expected to be affected by U.S. restrictions.

  • Some staff members based in DR Congo left the country before the U.S. 21-day travel window took effect.

  • Journalists and fans applying for World Cup visas say they are worried after the U.S. embassy paused visa services in DR Congo.

  • A confirmed Ebola case was reported in South Kivu, signaling spread beyond the outbreak’s main hotspot in Ituri.

Protests Erupt in Ireland After Death of Congolese-Born Man During Restraint

Hundreds of people gathered outside Ireland’s parliament today, Thursday, May 21, demanding justice after Congolese-born Yves Sakila died following an incident in which he was restrained outside a Dublin department store last week. The widely shared video of the encounter, which showed Sakila pinned to the ground by several men for several minutes, has sparked national outrage and renewed conversations around racism and policing.

What Else to Know:

  • Sakila was detained in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident before becoming unresponsive.

  • Members of Ireland’s Congolese community say the incident has left many feeling unsafe.

  • Prime Minister Micheál Martin has called for a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding Sakila’s death.

  • Police say they are reviewing CCTV footage and videos shared on social media.

  • Authorities have completed a post-mortem examination but have not yet released the results.

Sierra Leone Receives First Group of U.S. Third-Country Deportees

Nine West African migrants deported by the Trump administration arrived in Sierra Leone yesterday, Wednesday, May 20, as part of a new agreement aimed at speeding up U.S. removals. The group included migrants from Ghana, Senegal, Guinea, and Nigeria, with Sierra Leone saying it will temporarily host deportees before they return to their home countries or are transferred elsewhere.

What Else We Know:

• Sierra Leone says it will accept up to 25 deportees a month and 300 a year under the arrangement.

• Foreign Minister Timothy Kabba says the agreement is backed by a $1.5 million U.S. grant and applies only to West African nationals.

• Deportees are expected to stay for up to 14 days, though some cases could be extended to 30 days.

• U.S. federal court documents show that at least some deportations were halted before the flight departed, including one woman seeking protection under anti-torture laws.

• Sierra Leone joins several African countries, including Ghana, Rwanda, Uganda, Cameroon, and South Sudan, that have signed similar third-country deportation agreements with the U.S.

In Brief: More Stories Today

Nigeria Seizes $363 Million Meth Operation in Biggest Drug Bust Yet

Nigeria’s anti-drug agency says it has broken up the country’s largest methamphetamine operation to date, seizing drugs and chemicals worth about $363 million and arresting 10 people, including three Mexican nationals. Authorities say the raids uncovered an industrial-scale lab in Ogun state and exposed growing links between Nigerian drug networks and foreign trafficking groups.

Mali Fuel Blockade Tightens as Burned Trucks Hit Supply Routes

Dozens of vehicles, including fuel tankers and trucks, were burned near Mali’s capital, Bamako, as the jihadist group JNIM tightened its blockade of the city. The disruption is driving up prices and worsening shortages ahead of Eid al-Adha, with residents and traders saying transport routes have become increasingly risky.

Kenyan Court Says Law Cannot Criminalize Consensual Teen Relationships

A Kenyan court has ruled that parts of the country’s sexual offenses law cannot be applied to minors involved in consensual relationships with each other. Rights groups say the decision could reduce arrests and prosecutions of teenagers and push reforms around adolescent health services and policing.

Ghana Announces Support Package for Citizens Returning From South Africa

Ghana says it has prepared financial, transport, and mental health support for citizens returning from South Africa after recent anti-immigrant violence. The government had previously announced plans to evacuate hundreds of Ghanaians as concern grew over xenophobic attacks targeting African migrants.

Fuel Shortages Disrupt Daily Life Across Malawi

Long fuel lines are growing across Malawi as global oil pressures linked to instability in the Middle East disrupt supplies. Transport operators and businesses say the shortages are slowing deliveries, raising costs, and putting pressure on agriculture during a key period for the economy.

Eswatini’s U.S. Deportee Deal Faces Legal Challenge

Eswatini agreed to take in third-country deportees from the United States after King Mswati III quickly approved the proposal, according to Reuters sources. Lawyers are now challenging the arrangement in court, arguing that detaining migrants without charges or access to legal representation violates the country’s constitution.